Is atheism a sign of intellectual weakness?

• Thread starter amadeus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sign
In summary, the conversation revolves around the argument that atheists are not fools for not believing in God, but for believing too much in themselves. The writer believes that theists are superior because of their doubt, while atheism is seen as a close-minded position. The atheist is described as having no doubt, no insecurity, and no possibility of being wrong, and takes pride in this certainty. However, the writer also acknowledges that both theists and atheists are ignorant when it comes to cosmic matters.
Everybody believes in something. Theists believe in a God, atheists do not. Atheists believe science has all the answers. We live in a multidimensional world, according to scientists. If the big bang is the start of the universe, then the first dimension was the start of it all, all energy concentrated in one point. I believe in that one point, and that point to me is God. Whatever you call it. Atheists have a problem calling something defined by science, God. Einstein who defined that everything is energy, still believed in God. All energy together is God to me, and this takes me back to the first dimension. But I do not want to restrict myself to only one dimension. There is more than one point of energy in the universe. If you want to believe that energy is the soul thing in the universe, do so. But there is still a lot of energy we cannot sense or measure, and that still affects our lives. For me, it's devine, for atheists its probably energy, for satanists it's the devil, whatever you worship, whatever is number one for you...

Physics news on Phys.org
Uh... number of misconceptions here...

Atheists believe science has all the answers.
Uh... no they don't. The only thing that ties theists together is their lack of belief in god. After that, they can believe in anything, like pink elephants - as long as it isn't divine. Even then, it is invalid to say science has all the answers. Science doesn't have the answers - that's the point. Science is a good method to get closer to the answers.

We live in a multidimensional world, according to scientists.
Of course. Width, Height and Length. Oh you mean the 11? No. That isn't a belief, but a hypothetical derivation - a theory that some scientists are testing, and many don't agree with. No belief required.
The only belief in science is that the search for knowledge is worthwhile. That's it.

If the big bang is the start of the universe, then the first dimension was the start of it all, all energy concentrated in one point.
Uh... I am getting some bad vibes from this statement. From what little I know of string theory, this isn't what is meant. One point? Maybe, from the evidence we find. First dimension... No.

Atheists have a problem calling something defined by science, God.
Modern physics tries to avoid calling anything by a name with too many strings attached. (Hence Quarks, Charm, Strangeness, Colour, Flavour) God needs to be conscious, omnipotent and eternal. Atheists? Well, if they called it God, they wouldn't be atheists by definition, would they?

Einstein who defined that everything is energy, still believed in God.
Uh... key misunderstanding here. Einstien's god is Spinoza's universal order, the god which doesn't play dice. It isn't really god in the strictest, dictionary sense.

But there is still a lot of energy we cannot sense or measure, and that still affects our lives.
Here's my problem... Sense or measure, but still affects? In physical terms, that is a contradiction in terms. We measure everything by the effect they have on what we experience. An entity that still affects our lives must neccessarily be measurable, and sensable. It must be a materialist entity, because it holds the connection with the material existence.

Ha ! Ha !
How could I miss this thread ?!
Originally posted by FZ+
Is atheism a sign of intellectual weakness?
That's one of the FUNNIEST things I've ever heard !

What I believe and how I see the world is obviously not common knowledge, everyone has his own view on life, and hopefully they can live with it. Multidimensional, sure, but I only can grasp the fourth dimension as the last one proven by science, all dimensions higher than time are hypothetical, I agree. I can't even imagine that there is an 11th or 13th dimension. Occasionaly my fantasy takes me upto 7th or 9th but who believes what one's mind tells him has to be careful not to end up in the nuthouse. I believe it all started at one point. My point is the center of my universe, and everyone has his own view on the universe.