Help with projectile motion, finding x

In summary: In that case, the maximum height is 1.68 m, which is still lower than the balloon. Thanks for clarifying.
navm1

Homework Statement

A balloon is attached to a 3m high pole. On the ground is a mortar that fires at a velocity of 7m/s at an angle of 55degrees. How far away does the mortar have to be to hit the balloon?

Homework Equations

y=tan(theta)x-g/(2v0cos2(theta)x2[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I rearranged to make a quadratic equation from the equation above and made

g/(2v0cos2(theta)x2 - tan(theta)x+y=0

-9.81m/s2/(2*(7m/s)2(cos2(55deg)x2 - tan(55)x+3m

and ended up with 1.58m and -6.34m

I understand that there will be two solutions because the projectile can hit the balloon on the way up and the way down but i don't think these answers are correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to have a sign error. However, with the given numbers, I find there's no solution.

in my lecture the correct answer was something like 1.9 or something and i forget the other one but when i plugged my answer 1.58 back into y=tan(theta)x-g/(2vcos^2(theta)x^2 it comes out as the right y value - 3m.

is there a chance I am using the completely wrong equation for this?

You're using the right equation. Here's a plot of the trajectory with the given numbers. The projectile never reaches a height of 3 m.

Attachments

• plot.pdf
    13.6 KB · Views: 196
navm1 said:
in my lecture the correct answer was something like 1.9 or something and i forget the other one but when i plugged my answer 1.58 back into y=tan(theta)x-g/(2vcos^2(theta)x^2 it comes out as the right y value - 3m.
When I plug in x=1.58 m, I get y=1.50 m.

I feel a little lost then. so for a projectile firing at 7m/s at 55 degrees trying to hit a balloon 3m in the air, it will never actually hit it?

Right. It's not going fast enough to reach a height of 3 m when it's aimed at 55 degrees off the horizontal. In fact, even if you shot it straight up, it wouldn't reach that height.

im following now. max height is 1.68m if i worked it out correctly so perhaps my notes are wrong. I'll compare notes with a friend and post again. thanks for your help so far

I'm not sure how you got that number. There's something weird going on with your calculations.

for max height i used

v0^2sin^2(theta)/2g

72*sin2(55) / 2 * 9.81 = 1.676

Ah, okay, I thought you were referring to shooting the projectile straight up.

Related to Help with projectile motion, finding x

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is moving through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It follows a parabolic path due to the vertical and horizontal forces acting on it.

2. How do I find the horizontal distance (x) of a projectile?

To find the horizontal distance of a projectile, you can use the formula x = Vx * t. Vx represents the initial velocity in the horizontal direction and t is the time elapsed. You can also use the formula x = (V * cosθ) * t, where V is the initial velocity and θ is the angle of projection.

3. Do I need to consider air resistance when finding the horizontal distance?

If the projectile is moving through the air, then air resistance should be taken into account. However, if the velocity is low and the distance is short, the effects of air resistance can be negligible and can be ignored for simplicity.

4. Can I use the same method to find the horizontal distance of a projectile on different planets?

No, you cannot use the same method to find the horizontal distance on different planets. The acceleration due to gravity and air resistance may vary on different planets, so you would need to use different formulas and adjust for the specific conditions of each planet.

5. What factors can affect the horizontal distance of a projectile?

The horizontal distance of a projectile can be affected by factors such as the initial velocity, angle of projection, acceleration due to gravity, air resistance, and any external forces acting on the projectile. These factors can vary depending on the situation and can impact the final horizontal distance of the projectile.