Help with practice test problem curved rod with charge density?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two curved plastic rods with different charge densities and a point located at the center of the rods. The solution involves using the electric field formula and considering symmetries in the problem. The conversation also mentions using i (i hat) and j (j hat) notation to denote unit vectors pointing in the positive x direction.
nchin
help with practice test problem! curved rod with charge density??

Two plastic rods are curved. The left rod is a 120° circular arc of radius
R, and has uniform charge density λ. The rod on the right is a 120° circular
arc of radius 2R, and has uniform charge density -2λ. A point P is located at the center of the circular arcs. Use i (i hat), j (j hat) notation in the following, where i is a unit vector that points in the positive x direction.

a) What is the vector Eλ at P due only to the rod with charge density λ?

Solution:
magnitude = Eλ = λ √(3) / 4∏(ε naught)R
Eλ = (λ (√3) / 4∏(ε naught)R) (√3/2 i hat - 1/2 j hat)

What i got for the magnitude:
λ / 4∏(ε naught)r2)
Im having a hard time visualizing the picture. I know I use the Electric field formula Kq/r2. but i don't understand how my teacher got the √3 in the numerator and why its only R instead of R2 in the denominator. Also why is the direction (√3/2 i hat - 1/2 j hat)?

Help please!

i think i might have a better idea. i take the integral from 0 to pi/3. charge density lambda = Q / L. L = 2 pi R/4 ---> charge density lambda = 2Q / pi R?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

nchin said:
Two plastic rods are curved. The left rod is a 120° circular arc of radius
R, and has uniform charge density λ. The rod on the right is a 120° circular
arc of radius 2R, and has uniform charge density -2λ. A point P is located at the center of the circular arcs. Use i (i hat), j (j hat) notation in the following, where i is a unit vector that points in the positive x direction.
It would help to know the orientation of the rods with respect to the axes.

And when solving the problem, think of symmetries.

Related to Help with practice test problem curved rod with charge density?

1. How do I calculate the electric field at a point on a curved rod with charge density?

The electric field at a point on a curved rod with charge density can be calculated using the formula E = kλ/r, where k is the Coulomb constant, λ is the linear charge density, and r is the distance from the point to the rod.

2. What is the difference between linear charge density and volume charge density?

Linear charge density refers to the amount of charge per unit length along a line, while volume charge density refers to the amount of charge per unit volume in a region of space. They have different units and are used to calculate different types of electric fields.

3. Can I use Gauss's law to solve problems involving curved rods with charge density?

Yes, Gauss's law can be used to solve problems involving curved rods with charge density. It states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the total charge enclosed by the surface divided by the permittivity of free space.

4. How do I determine the direction of the electric field on a curved rod with charge density?

The direction of the electric field at a point on a curved rod with charge density is always perpendicular to the rod, pointing away from the rod if the charge is positive and towards the rod if the charge is negative.

5. Can I use the superposition principle to solve problems involving multiple curved rods with charge density?

Yes, the superposition principle can be used to solve problems involving multiple curved rods with charge density. This principle states that the total electric field at a point is the vector sum of the electric fields produced by each individual charge in the system.