Help With Position vs Time Graph

In summary: However, it would be more accurate to label the axes with units (e.g. distance in meters, time in seconds) and add a title to the graph. Overall, your solution is correct and your graph accurately represents the given information. Great job! In summary, the conversation involved a student seeking help with a physics problem involving a driving scenario. The problem required the student to plot a position versus time graph and calculate the average velocity. The student initially struggled with the graph, but with guidance from others, was able to correct it. The final solution and graph were deemed correct and accurate.
theintarnets

Homework Statement

I'm not sure if my graph for this problem is correct... I've attached it below, can someone please help me? The problem is:

In heavy rush-hour traffic you drive in a straight line at 12 m/s for 1.5 minutes, then you have to stop for 3.5 minutes, and finally you drive at 15 m/s for another 2.5 minutes.

a) Plot the position-versus-time graph for this motion. your plot should extend from t=0 to t=7.5 minutes.
b) Use your plot from part a to calculate the average velocity between t=0 and t=7.5 minutes.

The Attempt at a Solution

Also, I'm not quite sure how to get average velocity out of this. I know that it's supposed to be distance divided by time, so I figured I could get the distance by multiplying 12 m/s by 90 seconds plus 15 m/s for 150 seconds to get 3330 meters, and then divide that by the total amount of time, 450 seconds, so my answer is 7.4 m/s but I don't know if that is right.

Attachments

• graph.png
    graph.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 2,797
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi the intarnets.
Now your graph is wrong, think about it,x can' go down because you never go backward.
The first part of the graph should start at x=0 and x will increase steadily because for each second passed, you will go "up" 12m, and this during 1.5 minutes
then x will stay the same for 3.5 minutes since you stopped, then... well, you get it now don't you ?

At the end of the graph, you will have a new x at its highest point
this will represent the total distance traveled, and you also know homw much time has passed, so you shouldn't have problem to find the average velocity (distance over time)

Cheers...

Assuming you stop the car in time approaches to zero, from 12 m/s to 0 m/s.

All the information is not given to plot the graph and position vs time graph that you plotted is not correct.Here you tried to plot position in y-axis and time in x axis.But you notice,you plotted velocity in y-axis with respect to time.Moreover your information is not clear.You said,you drove for first 1.5 min (90 sec) with velocity 12m/s.During this time interval you traveled 90*12=1080m.here the you have to plot like this...(1,12),(2,24),(3,108)...up to (90,1080) by following the equation s=vt.Then you said you had to stop for 3.5 min.Its not clear that how long you needed to stop from 12m/s velocity to with what negative acceleration,how long you were stopped and how long you needed to gain 15m/s velocity from 0m/s with what acceleration.Unless you know these information,you can not draw the graph.Remember always that you are plotting position vs time graph,not velocity vs time graph.As you had not changed your direction so the value of y (position) may not increase for some time period (when you stopped),but will never decrease.

Thanks so much! My professor expects us to graph it with the information that's given. I tried the graph again, can someone check and see if it's correct? Also, I tried the average velocity again and I still got 7.4 m/s. Is that correct? Thanks again!

Attachments

• Graph1.jpg
    Graph1.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 3,174
Yes, your calculation for the average speed is correct and your graph now looks good.

Related to Help With Position vs Time Graph

What is a position vs time graph and how is it used?

A position vs time graph, also known as a displacement vs time graph, is a visual representation of an object's position or displacement over a period of time. It is used to track the motion of an object and can provide information about its speed, direction, and acceleration.

How is the position of an object determined from a position vs time graph?

The position of an object can be determined by looking at where the object's line on the graph intersects with the vertical axis, which represents position or displacement. The value at that point is the object's position at that specific time.

What does a straight line on a position vs time graph indicate?

A straight line on a position vs time graph indicates that the object is moving at a constant speed. The slope of the line represents the object's velocity, with a steeper slope indicating a higher velocity.

How can you determine an object's velocity from a position vs time graph?

The velocity of an object can be determined by calculating the slope of the line on the position vs time graph. The slope is equal to the change in position over the change in time, which is the definition of velocity.

What does a curved line on a position vs time graph indicate?

A curved line on a position vs time graph indicates that the object is accelerating. The slope of the line at any given point represents the object's instantaneous velocity, which may be changing over time due to acceleration.