Need help with a physics problem

• Thread starter tec[H}nogeek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a roller coaster. The roller coaster is being redesigned with a new safety feature, an ideal spring that will shoot the cart back through the roller-coaster backwards. The conversation includes questions about the minimum initial velocity required for the cart to make it back to the top of the ride and the value of the spring constant needed to slow the cart down to a stop. The conversation also mentions using the principles of conservation of energy and the energy stored in a spring to solve the problem.
tec[H}nogeek
Ok so here's the picture that the problems are based on.

http://www.daocplace.com/tng/tng/uploader/uploaded/physics.JPG [Broken]

Background Info:
The amusement park decides to redesign the rollercoaster by removing the safety ramp and replacing it with an ideal spring that will shoot the cart back through the roller-coaster backwards. The stretch of frictional track is made frictionless, set to 10.0 m long, and the giant spring is set up as shown, over another frictionless stretch of track.

As a note, the ramp on the far right is not part of the track. Also this is assuming that gravity is 10 m/s^2.

Question 1:
What minimum initial velocity does the car nee dto make it back to the top at the start of the ride?

I know this had to do with conservation of energy but I don't have any velocities to start off with, so I can't do any kinetic energy calculations.

Question 2:
If the park only has 20.0 m of space to devote to the slowing of the cart by the spring, what is the "k" of the spring required to get the cart to slow to a stop?

Again I am completely lost as to what to do here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to fail. :(
EDIT: D'oh. Didn't see the homework help zone. Sorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone please help? I know it is long but I can't figure it out myself.

According to the illustration, the highest point that the roller coaster reaches is at the other end. So, if energy is conserved, you have the minimum kinetic energy at h=20. Since the starting point is h=15, there is a change in height of 5m, so KE=mgh=m50=1/2 m v2.

The initial velocity is 10 m/s.

The energy stored in a spring is 1/2 kx2 where x is the displacement of the spring. Clearly to stop the roler coaster, the spring must store all of the energy of motion of the roller coaster.

THanks...but the start is at the right side. My teacher drew it all crazy. Does that make a difference though?

Also I'm not sure if it's clear but the problem is saying that the train starts from the right with initial velocity, v, goes through to the left bounces off the spring and returns to the initial point (on the right). So the minimum initial velocity is to go from right to left to right? Hopefully that makes more sense.

Anyone else?

1. How can I solve a difficult physics problem?

The best way to solve a difficult physics problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by identifying what is given and what is unknown, and then use relevant equations and principles to solve for the unknown variable. It's also helpful to draw diagrams and visualize the problem to gain a better understanding of the concepts involved.

2. What should I do if I get stuck on a physics problem?

If you get stuck on a physics problem, don't panic. Take a step back and review the information you have and what you are trying to solve for. Look for any patterns or relationships that may help you solve the problem. If you are still stuck, try working through similar examples or seeking help from a teacher or tutor.

3. Why is it important to show all work when solving a physics problem?

Showing all work when solving a physics problem is important because it allows you to track your thought process and identify any mistakes you may have made. It also helps others, such as teachers or peers, understand how you arrived at your solution and provide feedback if needed.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in physics, practice is key. Work through a variety of problems, starting with simpler ones and gradually increasing in difficulty. It's also helpful to review and understand fundamental concepts and principles, as well as work on developing critical thinking and analytical skills.

5. Are there any online resources available to help with physics problems?

Yes, there are many online resources available to help with physics problems. Some examples include online tutorials, practice problems with step-by-step solutions, and interactive simulations. Additionally, many physics textbooks and study guides have supplemental online materials that can provide further assistance.