Help With Physics Problem: 3D Force Diagram

In summary, a crate slides down an inclined right-angled trough. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and the trough is μk. The acceleration of the crate in terms of μk, θ, and g is given by
jmora

Homework Statement

So I have a physics problem which I can't do (I am in ap physics c by the way). I only need help with the idea as I cannot find anyway to do the free body diagram.

So the question is "A crate slides down an inclined right-angled trough. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and the trough is μk. What is the acceleration of the crate in terms of μk, θ, and g? Include a labeled force diagram for the crate. " my teacher worded it funny. The problem is the ramp has two sides that are applying a force of normal and they are joined at a 90 degree angle (so the box first perfectly). Hard to describe but it goes into all three dimensions any angle you look at it (imagine a slide shaped up like v with angle being 90 degrees and sliding down on it). The problem is that I cannot do force vectors without having to do some sort of 3d model, which I'm not supposed to do (more like I don't know how to do). Again I don't need the answer I am just having a lot of trouble with the concept as I have never encountered it before.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I've put toothpicks together, looks like a very ugly 3-d fbd.

EDIT: I just realized that i just joined and didn't really bothered to look around thoroughly. So if this is in the wrong place sorry in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you might want to complete a better versoin of the three -d diagram, no offense. From there, you can draw all the vectors and having a visual often helps with physics. If all comes to worst, then there is computer software online that you can use.

Hope this helps,
BOB

The thing is that we have never talked about 3-d fbd diagrams. It should all fit into on or more 2-d diagrams. I tried making three separate ones (for the two surfaces) but I just can't get it once it comes to the box. And online software? Do you have link? Thanks

Related to Help With Physics Problem: 3D Force Diagram

1. What is a 3D force diagram?

A 3D force diagram is a graphical representation used to visualize and analyze forces acting on an object in all three dimensions. It shows the direction, magnitude, and relative position of each force, allowing for a better understanding of the overall forces acting on the object.

2. How do I create a 3D force diagram?

To create a 3D force diagram, you will need to first identify all the forces acting on the object in three dimensions. Then, draw a three-dimensional coordinate system with the object located at the origin. Finally, use arrows to represent each force, making sure to label the direction and magnitude of each force.

3. Why is a 3D force diagram important in physics?

A 3D force diagram is important in physics because it allows for a visual representation of the forces acting on an object in three dimensions. This can help in analyzing the motion and equilibrium of the object, as well as determining the net force acting on the object.

4. How does Newton's Laws apply to a 3D force diagram?

Newton's Laws of Motion can be applied to a 3D force diagram to help understand the motion of an object. The first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will continue in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by a net external force. The second law relates the net force acting on an object to its acceleration, and the third law states that every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

5. Are there any tips for solving 3D force diagram problems?

When solving 3D force diagram problems, it is important to first identify all the forces acting on the object and their directions. Then, break down the forces into their components in each dimension. Finally, use Newton's Laws and the principles of equilibrium to analyze the forces and determine the net force on the object.