Help with Perfectly Elastic Collision problem.

In summary: So, in summary, my professor is saying that all the kinetic energy in the collision turns into potential gravitational energy, which I initially agreed with. My prof is consistently giving answers different from the book though and when I do it his way, I end up with an answer (5.9m/s) different from the book (7.9m/s). His way completely ignores the need for the conservation of momentum equation and, when I thought about it, the balls aren't equal mass so the shot ball should bounce back a little bit in addition to the larger ball swinging on the string. So I figured my conservation of energy equation should be the second one. When I do it this way though, I end up with all three vel
ChodeNode

Homework Statement

A 20g ball is fired horizontally with initial speed vi toward a 100g ball that is hanging motionless from a 1.0m long string. The balls undergo a head-on, perfectly elastic collision after which the 100g ball swings out to a maximum angle of 50degrees. What was vi?

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum:
m1vi1 + m2vi2 = m1vf1 + m2vf2

Conservation of energy:
1/2m1(vi1^2) = m2gy
or
1/2m1(vi1^2) = m2gy + 1/2m1(vf1^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

My prof says all the kinetic energy converts to potential gravitational energy, which I initially agreed with. My prof is consistently giving answers different from the book though. When I do it his way, I end up with an answer (5.9m/s) different from the book (7.9m/s). His way completely ignores the need for the conservation of momentum equation and, when I thought about it, the balls aren't equal mass so the shot ball should bounce back a little bit in addition to the larger ball swinging on the string.

So I figured my conservation of energy equation should be the second one. When I do it this way though, I end up with all three velocities unknown from the conservation of momentum equation. With only two equations, I can't solve for the velocities.

Can somebody point out to me where I've gone wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi CodeNode, welcome to PF.
Calculating m2gY, you can find vf2.
Substitute this value in the conservation of momentum equation. Using this equation and the conservation of energy equation solve for v1i and v1f.

rl.bhat said:
Hi CodeNode, welcome to PF.
Calculating m2gY, you can find vf2.
Substitute this value in the conservation of momentum equation. Using this equation and the conservation of energy equation solve for v1i and v1f.
Okay, so you're saying that because I know that all the energy ends up as m2gy, then all the kinetic energy of ball two immediately after impact should be equal to that and therefore:

m2gy = 1/2m2(vf2^2)

Is that right?

EDIT: Thanks for the response, btw.

EDIT 2: Okay, that got me what I needed, thank you. Apparently my algebra was going wrong somewhere with my substitution. The book was kind enough to provide a simplification of the velocity variables based on the substitution and I got the answer the book got.

Last edited:

Related to Help with Perfectly Elastic Collision problem.

1. What is a perfectly elastic collision?

A perfectly elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where there is no loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy before and after the collision remains the same.

2. How is the velocity of objects calculated in a perfectly elastic collision?

In a perfectly elastic collision, the velocity of the objects can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and the conservation of kinetic energy equations. This involves knowing the masses and initial velocities of the objects before the collision.

3. What is the difference between a perfectly elastic collision and an inelastic collision?

In a perfectly elastic collision, there is no loss of kinetic energy and the objects bounce off each other with no deformation. In an inelastic collision, there is some loss of kinetic energy and the objects may stick together or deform after the collision.

4. How do you determine if a collision is perfectly elastic?

A collision can be considered perfectly elastic if the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved and there is no deformation or loss of energy. This can be determined by calculating the kinetic energy before and after the collision and comparing the values.

5. Can a real-life collision be perfectly elastic?

In theory, a perfectly elastic collision can occur, but in reality, there are always some factors that can cause some loss of kinetic energy. These factors include friction, air resistance, and deformation of the objects involved in the collision.