Electrostatic force problem help with vector parts

In summary: You probably did that calculation correctly but did not copy it correctly here. The x-component of F4_3y is -0.4408* cos(26.6) and the y-component is -0.4408* sin(26.6). Now, since the charge is released at y= 14, it only has a y-component of velocity, no x-component. If we take the downward direction as negative, the y-component of acceleration is -9.8 m/s^2. The y-component of force on q is the sum of the y-components of all three forces.In summary, there is a system of three charges on the x-axis and a fourth charge on the
Rockdog
I've included a picture.

Two charges Qc and -Qc(Qc = 4 µC) are fixed on the x-axis at x = -7 cm and x = 7 cm, respectively. A third charge Qb = 5 µC is fixed at the origin.
A particle with charge q = 0.3 µC and mass m = 5 g is placed on the y-axis at y = 14 cm and released. There is no gravity.

a) Calculate x-component of acceleration of particle.
b) Calculate y-component of acceleratin of particle.
c) Magnitude of the net electric force on q at its point of release?
=====
Ok, I know the general idea of what I got to do. To get the acceleration, set the electrostatic force equal to mass times acceleration
F=ma
f/m=a

Now I got three charges in a line. For simplicity sake, let's call the charges from left to right in the line 1, 2,3, and charge 4 on the y axis.

Before I go any further, I realize that this is an iscoceles triangle.

When I draw the FBD on charge 4, I have a F4_2(force on 4 by 2) going vertical, F4_1 up to the right, and F4_3 down to the right.

With the use of Coulomb's law, I figured out the electrostatic force from each charge onto charge 4.

|F4_1|= |(k*q_1*q_4)/(.157m)^2| =>.4408N
|F4_2|= |(k*q_2*q_4)/(.14m)^2| => .689N
|F4_3|= |(k*q_3*q_4)/(.157m)^2| => .4408N

.157m is the sides of the triangles
.14m is the height of triangle
q1=4E-6 C
q2=5E-6 C
q3=-4E-6 C
q4=.3E-6 C
=======
Ok, I believe I'm doing good so far.

Now this is where I'm having trouble with. To get the x and y components of acceleration, I have to break up the electrostatic forces...btw, I'm getting these angles by putting the origin on q4 on my FBD.

x-component F4_1
.4408N * cos 70
y-component F4_1
.4408 sin 70

x-component F4_2
y-component F4_2
.689N*sin 90

x-component F4_3
.4408N * cos -70
y-component F4_3
.4408 sin -70

Attachments

• physics.gif
    physics.gif
    774 bytes · Views: 517
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes your calculation of a_y is correct.

and a_x by my calculation is 395.4605714 m/sec^2

Fx = F1x + F3x
= F1*cos(x) + F3*cos(x)
where x is angle between x-axis and F1, which is equal to that between x-axis and F3.
and cos(x) = 0.157/0.070 because it's right triangle.

if you calculate above
Fx = 2*F1*cos(x) ----------- because |F1| = |F3|
= 2*F1*(0.157/0.070)
= 1.977302857 N
and a_x = 1.977302857/0.005 = 395.4605717 m/sec^2

And by the way, don't forget to tell me whether my calculation is right.

Good luck. :biggrin:

"x-component F4_1
.4408N * cos 70
y-component F4_1
.4408 sin 70"

Where did you get "70"? Since your right triangles have legs of length 7 and 14, the angle at the base (at 1 and 3) are arctan(14/7)= 63.4 degrees. The opposite angle is 90- 63.4= 26.6 degrees (and the angle at the top of the isosceles triangle is twice that: 53.2 degrees.
The x-component of F4_1 is 0.4408* cos (63.4) and the y-component is
0.4408* sin(64.4)

1. What is electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force is the force that exists between two electrically charged particles. It is one of the fundamental forces of nature and is responsible for many phenomena, such as the attraction and repulsion between objects.

2. How is electrostatic force calculated?

The magnitude of electrostatic force between two charged particles can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is the direction of electrostatic force?

The direction of electrostatic force is determined by the type of charges on the particles. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract each other. Therefore, the force can be either attractive or repulsive.

4. How do you solve electrostatic force problems with vector parts?

To solve electrostatic force problems with vector parts, you need to break down the forces into their components along the x and y axes. Then, you can use vector addition and trigonometry to find the resultant force and its direction.

5. What are some real-life applications of electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force has many real-life applications, such as in the operation of electronic devices, particle accelerators, and printers. It also plays a significant role in the formation of lightning, the attraction of dust on TV screens, and the sticking of balloons to walls after being rubbed against hair.