Help with oblique motion question (initial height)

In summary: The initial components in the x and y direction are not equal. They should be 5√2 and 5√2.In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the initial height (h) in an oblique motion, given data such as initial velocity (v0), angle (α), and gravitational acceleration (g), as well as variables including position in the x and y-axis, range (r), maximum height (hmax), and time of flight (tf). The attempts at solving the problem involve using various equations, such as the trajectory equation and Torricelli's equation. However, the correct solution is not obtained due to errors in calculation and incorrect initial velocity components.
jecg

Homework Statement

How to calculate initial height (h) in an oblique motion?
Data: initial velocity (v0) = 10 m/s
angle (α) = 45º
g = 10 m/s2
Variables: x - position in the x-axis
y - position in the y axis
r - range
hmax - maximum height
tf - time of flight

Homework Equations

vx = vy = 5√2 m/s
y = h + tan(α) x - (g/v0x2) x2 → trajectory equation
vy2 = v0y2 - 2gΔy

The Attempt at a Solution

1st - 0 = h + v0y tf - ½ g tf2 ⇔ tf = (v0y + √(v0y2 + 2hg))/g
in the problem tf = (5√2 + √(50+20h))/10
and using that:
0 = h + 5√2 × ((5√2 + √(50+20h))/10) - 5×((5√2 + √(50+20h))/10)2 ⇔ 0 = 0 this is redundant becuase I'm using the same formula twice, I understand the result
2nd - using the trajectory equation:
0 = h + x - (10/ (2v0x2) x2 ⇔ x = 5 + 5√(1 - (2/5)h)
in this case x = r so, r = v0x tf ⇒ tf = (1 + √(1 - (2/5)h)/√2
so I picked the expression from the 1st attempt and matched with this new one, like this:
(5√2 + √(50+20h))/10 = (1 + √(1 - (2/5)h)/√2 ⇔ h = 0 even though this atempt gave me a "real" result, h ≠ 0 so it can't be
3rd - in a crazy last atempt I used the expressin for tf from second atempt and substitute it in the equation for y position:
0 = h + 5√2 × ((1 + √(1 - (2/5)h)/√2 ) - 5((1 + √(1 - (2/5)h)/√2)2 ⇔ h = 0 as expected the result was 0
4th - I also tried working with torricelli's equation, but that led me no where, I obtained this, which might be helpful: hmax = h + 5/2

Physics news on Phys.org
"oblique motion" can refer to a lot of things ... I'm guessing this is a ballistics problem?
i.e. a projectile is fired at speed 10m/s at an angle 45deg to the horizontal - neglect air resistance.
Is that correct?

If so then
vx = vy = 5√2 m/s
... this is incorrect.

Related to Help with oblique motion question (initial height)

1. What is oblique motion?

Oblique motion refers to the motion of an object in two directions simultaneously, typically at an angle. This type of motion is also known as projectile motion.

2. How is initial height defined in oblique motion?

Initial height in oblique motion refers to the vertical distance between the starting point and the highest point of the object's trajectory. It is measured in meters or feet.

3. How does initial height affect oblique motion?

The initial height has a direct impact on the trajectory of the object in oblique motion. A higher initial height will result in a longer flight time and a longer horizontal distance traveled, while a lower initial height will result in a shorter flight time and a shorter horizontal distance traveled.

4. What is the formula for calculating initial height in oblique motion?

The formula for calculating initial height in oblique motion is:
h0 = v0 * sinθ * t - (1/2 * g * t2)
where h0 is the initial height, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, t is the time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2).

5. How can initial height be used to solve oblique motion problems?

Knowing the initial height is crucial in solving oblique motion problems as it helps determine the initial conditions of the object's motion. It can be used to calculate the maximum height, flight time, and horizontal distance traveled by the object. Additionally, it can be used to determine the launch angle or initial velocity of the object.