Help with Newton's Law Acceleration Problem

In summary, the dockworker applies a constant horizontal force of 83.0 to a block of ice on a smooth horizontal floor, causing it to move a distance of 10.0 in a time of 5.30. When the worker stops pushing, the block continues to move at a constant velocity of 1.88m/s. Using the equations d=v(i)t+.5at^2 and a=(vf-vi)/t, the distance traveled in the next 4.20 seconds can be calculated as 3.96. However, the given answer was deemed incorrect.
njt84572

Homework Statement

A dockworker applies a constant horizontal force of 83.0 to a block of ice on a smooth horizontal floor. The frictional force is negligible. The block starts from rest and moves a distance 10.0 in a time 5.30 .

If the worker stops pushing at the end of 5.30 , how far does the block move in the next 4.20?

Homework Equations

d=v(i)t+.5at^2
a=(vf-vi)/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved Vi by dividing distance/time, and then solved for acceleration (-.449235) by dividing (Vf-Vo)/t with Vf=0 and Vi=1.88. I used 4.20 as "t". I plugged the results into d=v(i)t+.5at^2 and got 3.96 as an answer, however masteringphysics said I was wrong. What am I doing wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
vi stands for vinitial which is ZERO in this case as the block starts from rest. Given that you can solve for a and then the velocity at 5.30 secs

Related to Help with Newton's Law Acceleration Problem

What is Newton's Law of Acceleration?

Newton's Law of Acceleration, also known as the Second Law of Motion, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net applied force and inversely proportional to its mass.

How do I calculate acceleration using Newton's Law?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the net force applied to an object by its mass. The formula is a = F/m, where "a" is the acceleration in meters per second squared (m/s^2), "F" is the net force in Newtons (N), and "m" is the mass in kilograms (kg).

What is an example of a Newton's Law acceleration problem?

An example of a Newton's Law acceleration problem would be a car traveling at a constant speed of 50 km/h. Suddenly, the driver applies the brakes, causing the car to decelerate at a rate of 5 m/s^2. What is the net force acting on the car?

How can I visualize Newton's Law of Acceleration?

One way to visualize Newton's Law of Acceleration is to imagine two identical objects with different masses. If the same amount of force is applied to both objects, the lighter one will accelerate faster than the heavier one due to its lower mass.

What other factors can affect acceleration besides force and mass?

Other factors that can affect acceleration include friction, air resistance, and the angle of the applied force. These external forces can either increase or decrease the acceleration of an object.