Help with natural log in this equation

In summary, a natural log is an inverse function of an exponential commonly used for solving equations involving exponential growth and decay. To solve for a natural log in an equation, you can use properties of logarithms and most calculators have a button for calculating natural logs. The main difference between a natural log and a common log is the base used, with natural logs using e and common logs using 10. There are restrictions when using natural logs, as the argument must be positive and the natural log of 0 is undefined.
bmed90

So I am not quite sure how to solve for x here.

1.2E-21=(.3567)(ln(x/.175))

Physics news on Phys.org
Btw I tried to stick it in my solver for my ti-84 cause I don't know how to solve for x by hand here...=\

Actually, the eq is 1.2E-21=(1.6E-19)(.35967)ln(x/.175)

Related to Help with natural log in this equation

1. What is a natural log?

A natural log, also known as a logarithm, is the inverse function of an exponential. It is commonly used to solve equations involving exponential growth and decay.

2. How do I solve for a natural log in an equation?

To solve for a natural log in an equation, you can use the properties of logarithms to simplify the equation. For instance, you can use the power rule to bring down any exponents in the equation, and then use the product or quotient rule to combine any logarithms.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve for a natural log?

Yes, most calculators have a button labeled "ln" or "log" that can be used to calculate natural logs. Just make sure that you are using the correct base for your calculation.

4. What is the difference between a natural log and a common log?

A natural log uses a base of e (approximately 2.718), while a common log uses a base of 10. This means that a natural log is the inverse of an exponential function with a base of e, while a common log is the inverse of an exponential function with a base of 10.

5. Are there any restrictions when using natural logs in an equation?

Yes, the argument of a natural log must be positive. This means that the number inside the parentheses must be greater than 0. If the argument is negative, the natural log is undefined. Additionally, the natural log of 0 is undefined.