Help with motor for pulling uphill

• Thread starter Tyler Schaffler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motor
In summary,- The motor can be on the sled or on the top of the hill- The power needed is proportional to the pulling speed and the rotational speed- The weight of the motor and batteries needs to be accounted for when determining the power and torque required.
Tyler Schaffler
Hello all!

I was curious how to figure out which motor to use to help pull a sled up an inclined surface of about 55 degrees. It would be pulled on snow and has a weight of about 300lbs. Would it make a difference if the motor was on the sled vs pulling from the top of the hill? How do you figure out the required power and torque for this? I haven't done physics in forever and would love any help that could be provided.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Tyler Schaffler said:
I was curious how to figure out which motor to use to help pull a sled up an inclined surface of about 55 degrees. It would be pulled on snow and has a weight of about 300lbs.

Below a schematic with the forces acting on the sled. For pulling it upwards with constant speed, the force ##F= G\,sin\alpha+R## , where

##G = mg## (##m## = mass of sled, ##g## = gravitational acceleration)
##R = N\,\mu=G\,cos\alpha\,\mu## (##\mu## = friction factor)

To find the necessary power ##P## you have to multiply the force with velocity ##v## you want to pull the sled upwards (##P=Fv##). The power also can be expressed as the torque ##T## multiplied with the rotational speed ##\omega## (##P=T\omega##). Depending on the radius ##r## of the wheel you want to use for the rope/wire to pull the sled, you find the relation between the pulling speed and the rotational speed (##v=r\omega##). This should give a good estimation for the necessary power and torque needed for the motor, but of course you have to considerate margins and losses, so the machine to use must be stronger/more powerful.

Tyler Schaffler said:
Would it make a difference if the motor was on the sled vs pulling from the top of the hill? I haven't

Both is possible, I think there are other technical considerations to make like

- is the sled pulled upwards everytime at the same location
- is it possible to attach the motor to the sled and what are the consequences (the sled gets heavier, ergo you need another motor)
- do you want the motor stay outside all the time (otherwise you have to carry it up before you want to use it)

Tyler Schaffler said:
I haven't done physics in forever and would love any help that could be provided.

That doesn't sound like to be homework, but if it is, please use the template according to the forum rules next time.

Attachments

• Sled_01.jpg
    Sled_01.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 363
Tyler Schaffler said:
Would it make a difference if the motor was on the sled vs pulling from the top of the hill?

You wouldn’t want to put the motor on the sled for two practical reasons: the motor is more weight that needs to be lifted, and it is much easier to get power to a motor in a fixed location. However, the choice doesn’t change the physics in any fundamental way.

Likes berkeman
Tyler Schaffler said:
Hello all!

I was curious how to figure out which motor to use to help pull a sled up an inclined surface of about 55 degrees. It would be pulled on snow and has a weight of about 300lbs. Would it make a difference if the motor was on the sled vs pulling from the top of the hill? How do you figure out the required power and torque for this? I haven't done physics in forever and would love any help that could be provided.

Thanks
What's at the top of the hill? What are you planning on using for a power source? Can you just use your Jeep with a winch to pull the sled up the hill?

And as @Cutter Ketch says, adding the weight of the motor and batteries to the sled is kind of counter-productive. :smile:

http://image.fourwheeler.com/f/3663...1+ar0/129_1107_03+winch_anatomy+jeep_winching

129_1107_03%2Bwinch_anatomy%2Bjeep_winching.jpg

Attachments

• 129_1107_03%2Bwinch_anatomy%2Bjeep_winching.jpg
    129_1107_03%2Bwinch_anatomy%2Bjeep_winching.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 596

What is a motor for pulling uphill?

A motor for pulling uphill is an electric motor that is specifically designed to provide enough torque and power to pull heavy objects up an incline or hill. It is commonly used in various industries such as construction, agriculture, and transportation.

What are the benefits of using a motor for pulling uphill?

The main benefit of using a motor for pulling uphill is that it can significantly reduce the physical effort and strain required to pull heavy objects up an incline. It also increases efficiency and productivity, as well as reduces the risk of injury to workers.

How do I choose the right motor for pulling uphill?

When choosing a motor for pulling uphill, you need to consider factors such as the weight of the load, the incline of the hill, and the distance it needs to be pulled. You should also ensure that the motor has enough torque and power to handle the load and incline.

What maintenance is required for a motor used for pulling uphill?

Regular maintenance is important for ensuring the longevity and proper functioning of a motor used for pulling uphill. This includes checking for any wear and tear, lubricating moving parts, and replacing any damaged or worn-out components.

Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a motor for pulling uphill?

Yes, there are several safety precautions that should be taken when using a motor for pulling uphill. These include wearing proper protective gear, ensuring the load is properly secured, and following all safety guidelines and instructions provided by the manufacturer.