Help with minor car crash physics

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the physics involved in a minor car crash between two cars traveling at 5 mph. The person is new to forums and is seeking help in understanding the concepts of mass, velocity, and kinetic energy in relation to the crash. They are also open to someone showing them the calculations involved. The conversation also suggests considering the elasticity of the collision and factoring in friction and rotational kinetic energy.
noobie_physics
Hello,

I am new to forums so please excuse my post if it is in the wrong area.

I was wondering whether someone could help me out with understanding the physics involved in a minor car crash between 2 cars (both traveling at 5 mph).
*This is not homework etc, trying to understand a real life accident.

I have started to read up on some areas e.g. Mass of cars, Velocity and Kinetic Energy but need help sticking it all together - unless someone is willing to show me the calculations involved and work it out?(should be able to provide details required).

TIA for any information or pointers.

Kind Regards,
Rhys.

Physics news on Phys.org
To simplify, consider if it is elastic or inellastic. At 5 mph, it is probably pretty elastic. So, momentum and kinetic energy will be conserved to a high degree (this is just an assumption). You could also take a different approach and consider a different question to answer: how elastic/inelastic is the collision. Then, you could make a calculation for the results of an elastic and an inelastic collision, and compare to the actual results of the collision. You also should probably consider the friction between the cars and the road, and rotational kinetic energy I think should be included as a deviation from perfectly elastic behavior.

Related to Help with minor car crash physics

1. What happens to the car's momentum during a minor car crash?

During a minor car crash, the car's momentum will change. This means that the car's velocity, or speed and direction, will also change. The change in momentum is caused by the force of the impact from the crash.

2. How does the speed of the car affect the force of impact during a minor car crash?

The speed of the car plays a significant role in the force of impact during a minor car crash. The faster the car is moving, the greater the force of impact will be. This is because the car has more momentum at a higher speed, which means it will take longer to come to a stop during the crash.

3. What is the relationship between the weight of the car and the force of impact during a minor car crash?

The weight of the car also affects the force of impact during a minor car crash. A heavier car will have more mass, and therefore more momentum, which will result in a greater force of impact. This is why larger vehicles, such as trucks, can cause more damage during a crash than smaller cars.

4. How does the stiffness of the car's structure play a role in a minor car crash?

The stiffness of a car's structure can affect the force of impact during a minor car crash. A stiffer structure can absorb more of the impact energy, which means less force is transmitted to the occupants of the car. This is why it is important for cars to have a strong and rigid structure to protect its passengers during a crash.

5. What are some common injuries that can occur in a minor car crash?

Even in a minor car crash, injuries can still occur. Some common injuries include whiplash, bruises, cuts and scrapes, and broken bones. These injuries can be caused by the force of impact, as well as the movement of the body during the crash. It is important to seek medical attention after a car crash, even if it seems minor, to ensure any potential injuries are properly treated.