Help with mathematical assertions for natural numbers

In summary, to prove the statement using mathematical induction, you need to show that for every natural number n, the sum of the first n squared numbers is equal to n/6 multiplied by (n+1) multiplied by (2n+1). To do this, you can substitute n=(k+1) in n/6 (n+1)(2n+1) and show that it is equal to (k+1)/6 multiplied by ((k+1)+1) multiplied by (2(k+1)+1). This can be done by simplifying the right side using algebra.
MegaDeth

Homework Statement

Prove by Mathematical Induction that the assertion,
n
∑ r^2 = n/6 (n+1)(2n+1)
r=1

holds for every natural number n.

Homework Equations

Ok, so basically, how do you solve this question? I have got to the Induction step but I'm not sure how to do it.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've replaced n with k so I have,

1^2 + 2^2 + 3^2 + ... k^2 = k/6 (k+1)(2k+1)

Then I've added the (k+1)th term to each side to I have,

1^2 + 2^2 + 3^2 + ... k^2 + (k+1)^2 = k/6 (k+1)(2k+1) + (k+1)^2

So where do I go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi MegaDeth! :smile:

Substitute (k+1) in n/6 (n+1)(2n+1) and check if that is equal to your expression.

Sorry, but I'm not really sure how to do that :S How do I substitute it and equal it to the expression?

To complete the proof, you have to show that the right side of the equation is (k+1)/6 ((k+1)+1)(2(k+1)+1). All it requires is algebra to re-express the right side in a way that shows your assertion is correct.

MegaDeth said:
Sorry, but I'm not really sure how to do that :S How do I substitute it and equal it to the expression?

If you substitute n=(k+1) in n/6 (n+1)(2n+1), you get:

(k+1)/6 ((k+1)+1)(2(k+1)+1).

Is that the same as k/6 (k+1)(2k+1) + (k+1)^2?

Related to Help with mathematical assertions for natural numbers

What are natural numbers?

Natural numbers are a set of positive integers starting from 1 and increasing by 1. They are typically denoted by the symbol "N" and can be represented as {1, 2, 3, ...}.

What is a mathematical assertion?

A mathematical assertion is a statement or claim that is believed to be true based on mathematical principles and reasoning. It can be proven using logical deductions and mathematical operations.

How can I prove a mathematical assertion for natural numbers?

To prove a mathematical assertion for natural numbers, you can use mathematical induction. This involves showing that the assertion is true for the first natural number (usually 1) and then proving that if it is true for any given natural number, it must also be true for the next natural number.

What are some common assertions for natural numbers?

Some common assertions for natural numbers include the commutative and associative properties of addition and multiplication, the distributive property, and the existence of prime numbers.

Why are natural numbers important in mathematics?

Natural numbers are the building blocks of mathematics and play a fundamental role in many mathematical concepts and operations. They are also used to represent and describe real-life quantities and phenomena, making them crucial in various scientific fields.