Help with Logic Questions | 65 Characters

• MHB
  • Thread starter Plonker1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary, the author is asking for help in understanding a mathematical proof and says that he is "fine with this" if the proof is not understood. However, he provides a different answer if the proof is not understood.
Plonker1
Hi there, I desperately need your help :P

I was very ill for the past week and missed out on class time when we were taught the content. I attempted the homework questions but because I've had to breeze through the content I'm not sure if I have answered all the questions correctly or as well as I could have. Could you please review my four questions and inform me of the correct answers if I'm wrong?

Your help is VERY appreciated.

Questions: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

View attachment 6457

My Answers:

a) ¬a ∧ u ⇒ h
b) a ∧ u ⇔ h
c) a ⇒ ¬h ⊕ ¬a ⇒ h

a) He does not speak or she does not jump
b) He speaks and she does not jump
c) Because he spoke she did not jump?

a) I'm fine with this
b) Yes it is represented by p ⇒ q ⇒ r

a) i. If all succeeds do not read the instructions. This is equivalent to p.
ii. Read the instructions only if all else fails
b) I'm fine with this

Attachments

• logicq.png
    logicq.png
    48.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Plonker said:
b) a ∧ u ⇔ h
The sentence says, "If it's against the rules...". Therefore, the formula must have the form \(\displaystyle a\Rightarrow\ldots\). Second, "\(\displaystyle p\) only if \(\displaystyle q\)" means the converse of "\(\displaystyle p\) if \(\displaystyle q\)". The latter means \(\displaystyle q\Rightarrow p\) (the part after "if" is the premise and is therefore located to the left of \(\displaystyle \Rightarrow\)); so "\(\displaystyle p\) only if \(\displaystyle q\)" is \(\displaystyle p\Rightarrow q\). Taken together, "\(\displaystyle p\) if \(\displaystyle q\)" and "\(\displaystyle p\) only if \(\displaystyle q\)" form "\(\displaystyle p\) if and only if \(\displaystyle q\)", i.e., \(\displaystyle p\Leftrightarrow q\) (I am saying this simply for information; the equivalence is not used in (b)).

Plonker said:
c) a ⇒ ¬h ⊕ ¬a ⇒ h
Here "but" is a synonym of "and". I am not sure how your course denotes conjunction, but usually it is denoted by \(\displaystyle \land\), \(\displaystyle \&\) or it is simply skipped like multiplication, as in \(\displaystyle pq\). The symbol \(\displaystyle \oplus\) usually denotes exclusive OR. Second, conjunction, just like multiplication, usually has the strongest precedence after negation, just like multiplication binds stronger than addition. So I would write the formula as \(\displaystyle (a\Rightarrow\neg h)\land(\neg a\Rightarrow h)\).

Plonker said:
a) He does not speak or she does not jump
b) He speaks and she does not jump
c) Because he spoke she did not jump?
I agree with a) and b). Concerning c), "because" is at best a complicated logical connective quite unlike others (AND, OR, etc.), and at worst it is not a connective at all. So I wouldn't worry about it. A good textbook should not include such question.

Plonker said:
a) I'm fine with this
b) Yes it is represented by p ⇒ q ⇒ r
The question asks: what does p ⇒ q ⇒ r mean: p ⇒ (q ⇒ r), (p ⇒ q) ⇒ r or something else? You can't answer p ⇒ q ⇒ r because that's what the question is about in the first place. I claim that the solution method means neither p ⇒ (q ⇒ r) nor (p ⇒ q) ⇒ r, but rather that $2x-6=0$ implies $2x=6$, and it in turn implies $x=3$.

Plonker said:
a) i. If all succeeds do not read the instructions. This is equivalent to p.
Please explain how you came up with this and why you think it is equivalent. Start by defining the inverse. Note that the negation of "all else fails" is "something else works".

Plonker said:
ii. Read the instructions only if all else fails
I disagree. As I said,
\[
\text{"\(\displaystyle p\) only if \(\displaystyle q\)" is }p\Rightarrow q.\qquad(*)
\]
The statement $p$ has the form "all else fails $\Rightarrow$ you read the instructions". Now use the fact (*) to write it as a formula.

Plonker said:
b) I'm fine with this
The problem does nort ask whether you are fine with the answer; it asks to justify it. Note that $p\Rightarrow q$ is equivalent to $\neg p\lor q$.

For the future, please read forum http://mathhelpboards.com/rules/.

Related to Help with Logic Questions | 65 Characters

1. What is a logic question?

A logic question is a type of question that requires logical reasoning and critical thinking skills to solve. It usually involves a statement or situation and asks for a conclusion or decision based on the information provided.

2. How can I improve my logic skills?

To improve your logic skills, you can practice solving logic puzzles and riddles, read books on logic and critical thinking, and engage in activities that require problem-solving and decision-making.

3. What are some common types of logic questions?

Some common types of logic questions include syllogisms, deductive reasoning, inductive reasoning, conditional statements, and logical fallacies. These types of questions can often be found in standardized tests and job interviews.

4. Can logic questions be subjective?

Yes, some logic questions can be subjective as they may require subjective interpretation or rely on personal opinions. However, most logic questions have objectively correct answers based on logical reasoning.

5. How can I approach solving logic questions?

To solve logic questions, it is important to carefully read and understand the given information, identify any patterns or relationships, and use logical reasoning to reach a conclusion. It may also be helpful to break down the question into smaller parts and eliminate any irrelevant or incorrect options.