Help with Logarithms: Find 2^A

• MHB
  • Thread starter IHateFactorial
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithms
In summary, the problem is finding 2^A, where A is equal to 1/6 of the difference of the third powers of the logarithms of 3, 6, 12, and 24. The logs can be factored to 3 + 2 to some power of n, which leads to a simplified expression for A. However, there may be an error in the calculations and further assistance is needed.
IHateFactorial
So, there's this problem:

\(\displaystyle A = \frac{1}{6}((\log_{2}\left({3})\right)^3 - (\log_{2}\left({6})\right)^3 - (\log_{2}\left({12})\right)^3 - (\log_{2}\left({24})\right)^3)\)

Find \(\displaystyle 2^A\)

What I've figured out is that all the logs factorize to 3 + 2 to some power of n.

\(\displaystyle \log_{2}\left({3}\right)=\log_{2}\left({3\cdot2^0}\right)\)
\(\displaystyle \log_{2}\left({6}\right)=\log_{2}\left({3\cdot2^1}\right)\)
\(\displaystyle \log_{2}\left({12}\right)=\log_{2}\left({3\cdot2^2}\right)\)
\(\displaystyle \log_{2}\left({24}\right)=\log_{2}\left({3\cdot2^3}\right)\)

Solving THAT gives me:

\(\displaystyle A = \frac{1}{6}((\log_{2}\left({3})\right)^3 - (\log_{2}\left({3})+1\right)^3 - (\log_{2}\left({3})+2\right)^3 - (\log_{2}\left({3})+3\right)^3)\)

\(\displaystyle A = \frac{1}{6}(-2(\log_{2}\left({3})\right)^3 - 6(\log_{2}\left({3})\right)^2 - 14(\log_{2}\left({3})\right)-36\)

\(\displaystyle A = \frac{-1}{3}(\log_{2}\left({3})\right)^3 - (\log_{2}\left({3})\right)^2 - \frac{7}{3}(\log_{2}\left({3})\right)-6\)

And... Now? I believe I screwed up SOMEWHERE aloing that line... And I'm completely stuck as to how to go on, any ideas?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
IHateFactorial said:
So, there's this problem:

\(\displaystyle A = \frac{1}{6}((\log_{2}\left({3})\right)^3 - (\log_{2}\left({6})\right)^3 - (\log_{2}\left({12})\right)^3 - (\log_{2}\left({24})\right)^3)\)

Find \(\displaystyle 2^A\)

I am very curious and wanted to ask if you're certain that you've typed everything correctly for the expression for $A$?

Related to Help with Logarithms: Find 2^A

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is the inverse operation of exponentiation. It is a mathematical function that helps us solve equations with exponential terms.

2. What is the base of a logarithm?

The base of a logarithm is the number that is raised to a certain power to produce a given value. For example, in the logarithm 2^3 = 8, 2 is the base.

3. How do I solve for A in the equation 2^A = 16?

To solve for A, we can rewrite the equation using logarithms. The base of the logarithm should match the base of the exponential term. So, in this case, we can rewrite 2^A = 16 as log2(16) = A. Using a calculator, we can find that log2(16) = 4, so A = 4.

4. Can I use any base for logarithms?

Yes, you can use any positive number as the base for logarithms. However, the most commonly used bases are 10 and e (approximately 2.71828).

5. How can I use logarithms to solve real-world problems?

Logarithms are used in a variety of fields such as science, finance, and engineering. They can help us solve problems involving exponential growth and decay, measure the intensity of earthquakes, and calculate the pH of a solution. In general, logarithms are useful for simplifying complex equations involving exponential terms.