Help with Linear Motion Questions: Acc, Velocity, & Speed-Time Graphs

In summary, the car driver observes a constant speed and a car that is accelerating uniformly from rest. The car decelerates uniformly to rest and the average speed for the journey is (3v)/4.
mcintyre_ie
Ok, so I am having troule with yet another accelerated linear motion question... i got a 40% on my last exam, and i need at least a 90% on this one to keep a decent average... any help is desperately needed and very much appreciated :)
So here it goes:
(A) A particle is projected vertically upwards with velocityum/s and is at a height h after t1 and t2 seconds respectively. Prove that:
t1.t2 = (2h)/g

(B) A car accelerates uniformly from rest to a speed v m/s. It then continues at this constant speed for t seconds and then decelerates uniformly to rest.
The average speed for the journey is (3v)/4

(i) Draw a speed-time graph and hence, or other wise, prove that the time for the journey is 2t seconds.
(ii) If the car driver had observed the speed limit of (1/2)v, find the least time the journey would have taken, assuming the same acceleration and deceleration as in (i).

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Physics news on Phys.org
Please notice (did you read "Read this first", first?) that we expect people to show what they have tried when posting a problem on this forum- we won't do your homework for you!

If you gave up without trying ANYTHING, or if you honestly don't know anything about how to even start working on these, then I don't know how we can help you get a 90% on your next test. I would recommend you go to your teacher and throw yourself on his/her mercy!

Since this is "yet another accelerated linear motion question" you should know by now that v(t)= v0+ at and that x(t)= -(a/2)t2+ vo t+ x0.

(A) If "a particle is projected vertically upwards with velocityum/s and is at a height h after t1 and t2 seconds respectively", then

h= (-g/2)t12+ u t1 and
h= (-g/2)t22+ u t2.

Setting those equal should make it easy to get the result.

(B) Drawing the graph shouldn't be any problem. While accelerating at a constant rate, the graph will be a straight line, through the origin, of course, with slope equal to the accelration. The time that the car is coasting, ignoring friction, its speed is constant so the graph is a horizontal straight line. While decellerating, the graph is a straight line sloping downward. The average speed is the area under the graph (which is a trapezoid) divided by the time span.

(C) Knowing the driver's maximum speed, you know the height of the horizontal line in (B). That should let you calculate the time.

Edit - The below post is what the actual problem now is.

Last edited:
Ok, so for part a, you say that "setting those equal should make it easy to get the result". Basically what i took that up as meaning is " h=h " so "(-g/2)t1^2+ u t1 = (-g/2)t2^2+ u t2 " , which gives me two vairables t1 and t2, equating to each other. Where am i going wrong here? Is there some thing about the times that I am missing or maybe something else pretty obvious that I am missing? When i try to "fix" my answer i get " (2h)/g = 8ut - 4t^2 ". Which is very very wrong...

So that was part a, now onto part b:

Ive drawn the graph, and made a very dodgy comp reproduction:
http://thumbs.webshots.com/s/thumb4/9/81/81/91198181xFqMxj_th.jpg

All i can make out is that the area of space 1 is .5(t1)(v) = distance, area of space 2 is (t)(V) and area of space 3 is (.5)(t2)(v).
So again I've got 3 variables (t1, t2 and V). V i can keep, since the average speed is given as being = (3v)/4 (i think this is right anyway). So now that I've done some very basic (very possible that its just basically wrong too...) can anybody give me a little help ASAP?
Thanks in advance

Related to Help with Linear Motion Questions: Acc, Velocity, & Speed-Time Graphs

1. What is linear motion?

Linear motion is a type of motion in which an object moves along a straight line with a constant speed or velocity. This type of motion is often described using terms such as acceleration, velocity, and speed-time graphs.

2. How is acceleration related to linear motion?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. In linear motion, acceleration can either be positive (speeding up) or negative (slowing down). This can be represented on a speed-time graph as a curved line.

3. What is the difference between velocity and speed in linear motion?

Velocity is a vector quantity that includes both the speed and direction of an object's motion. Speed, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that only measures the rate of motion without considering direction. In linear motion, the speed of an object can be represented on a speed-time graph as a straight line, while its velocity is represented by the slope of the line.

4. How do you calculate the acceleration of an object in linear motion?

The acceleration of an object in linear motion can be calculated using the formula: acceleration = change in velocity / change in time. This can also be represented on a velocity-time graph as the slope of the line.

5. How can a speed-time graph be used to analyze linear motion?

A speed-time graph can be used to analyze linear motion by providing information about an object's speed and acceleration over time. The slope of the graph can indicate the object's acceleration, and the area under the graph can represent the distance traveled by the object. Additionally, the shape of the graph can also indicate if the object is moving at a constant speed, accelerating, or decelerating.