Calculating Vertical Components in Ski-Jump Slopes

• Thread starter Claire84
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with their Applied Maths homework, specifically a problem involving mechanics. The student is struggling with using the work-energy theorem to show that the elastic string eventually becomes slack and the particle comes to rest at a distance of l/2 from the fixed point. They also mention another problem involving a ski-jump slope and finding the vertical components of a jumper's motion. The conversation ends with the student receiving assistance with their calculations.
Claire84
Hi, I'm just doing my Applied Maths h/worl at the mo which is pretty much just mechnics and I was hoping someone here could give me a hand. I think my problem here is more a case of my brain shutting down early for rimbo as opposed to the h/work being difficult so here I go...

The first problem I'm having is this one-

One end of an elestic string of natura; length l and modulus lambda is fixed to a point O on a rough horizontal table (its 'spring constant' is k/lambda). The other end is attached to a particle P of mass m. The system is released from rest with P lying on the table and the distance OP being 2l. If lambda=3mg and u (coefficient of friction)=1 between the table and the particle, show that-
a) the dtring eventually becomes slack
b)the particle comes to rest at a distance l/2 from O.

For part a I've been using the work energy theorum because if at B (a distance l from O, as in at the natural length), the velocity is greater than 0 then the particle will keep on moving so the string will become slack. so I'm using KE+PE at P minus KE+PE at B= work done my the frictional force. So at P we'd only have PE since it's at rest and is it true that at B we'd only have KE since the particle would be at the string's natural lenth therefore the string wouldn't be strectched in anyway? I've got work done by the frictional force as -mgl which I'm assuming is ok. My problem is hat I am end up with my velocity at B to be the square root of 5gl, which I have a feeling is wrong because for part b I'm not getting the ansewet to be l/2. For part b I'm using rhe fact that there's no tension so only friction acts to slow the particle down so I'm using the eqt of motion v^2=u^2+2as, but I'm getting 5l/2 out of this. Can anyone shed any lioght on this for me?

The next one is just short. If we have a ski-jump slope and the jumper goes off the bottom of it moving horitzonally, how do you work out the verticla components? I've got u=0, a=g and s=-h (of h is the hgith above the ground when taking off). However if you put that into an ewqt of motion you end up with a complex number so what is going wrong?

Claire

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Claire84
For part b I'm using rhe fact that there's no tension so only friction acts to slow the particle down so I'm using the eqt of motion v^2=u^2+2as, but I'm getting 5l/2 out of this. Can anyone shed any lioght on this for me?
Use the "work-energy" theorem for part b as well. Initial energy is spring potential energy (KE = 0); at final position, energy = 0.
If we have a ski-jump slope and the jumper goes off the bottom of it moving horitzonally, how do you work out the verticla components? I've got u=0, a=g and s=-h (of h is the hgith above the ground when taking off). However if you put that into an ewqt of motion you end up with a complex number so what is going wrong?
What are you trying to find? The speed of the jumper after going down a hill of height h? (If so, assume no friction: energy is conserved.) Not sure what you mean by "vertical components".

If I was trying to find time by resolving vertically at he end of the ski slope. Like if I were resolving horizontaly there'd be no acceleration etc.

If I was trying to find time by resolving vertically at he end of the ski slope. Like if I were resolving horizontaly there'd be no acceleration etc.
Time of what? I still don't know what the problem is.

Time taken for the jumper to reach the ground after taking off horizontally from the ski-slope.

Now I see what you are doing.

I've got u=0, a=g and s=-h (of h is the hgith above the ground when taking off). However if you put that into an ewqt of motion you end up with a complex number so what is going wrong?
If down is negative, then the acceleration is -g. That should fix your problem.

1. What does "Some quick h/work help please" mean?

"Some quick h/work help please" is a request for assistance with a homework assignment that needs to be completed quickly.

2. Can you provide help with any subject or just a specific one?

As a scientist, I can provide help with various subjects, but my expertise may be limited to specific fields such as biology, chemistry, physics, etc. It would be best to specify the subject in your request for help.

3. How quickly can I expect a response or assistance?

I will try my best to respond and provide assistance as soon as possible, but it may depend on the complexity of the homework and my availability. Please provide a deadline or timeframe for when you need the help.

4. Can you guarantee that the help provided will be correct?

I will do my best to provide accurate and correct help, but I cannot guarantee it. It is important to double-check and verify the information provided for accuracy.

5. Is it okay to ask for help with multiple questions or problems?

Yes, it is okay to ask for help with multiple questions or problems. However, please provide all of the necessary information and be specific in your request for help to ensure a quicker and more accurate response.