Help with Kinematics Problem (Two bodies in motion; one direction)

In summary, the problem involves a train with a length of 92m and a car that starts at rest and reaches the end of the train at t=0s. The car then accelerates at a constant velocity until it reaches the front of the train at t=12s. The train also starts moving at t=0s and eventually pulls ahead of the car, reaching the end of the train again at t=28s. To solve for the car's velocity and the train's acceleration, we can use the equations d=Vit+1/2(at^2) and Vf=Vi+at.
pharmacy_boy
1. A train has a length of 92m and starts from rest with a constant acceleration at t= 0s. At this instant, a car just reaches the end of the train. The car is moving with a constant velocity. At t=12sec the car just reaches the front of the train. Ultimately, the train pulls ahead of car and at t=28sec, the car is at the end of the train once again. Find the magnitude of (a) the car's velocity; (b) the trains acceleration.

One thing to note is that is at time 0, the train is at rest and while the car is already at constant velocity. The train begins motion after time 0. Therefore, both vehicles start to move at time zero which is why this problem is a bit hard for me.

d= Vit+1/2(at2)
Vf2=Vi2+2ad
Vf=Vi+at 3. How do I go about solving this. I tried splitting the problem into three parts. Part 1- car reaches the the back of the train at time 0. Part 2- car passes the train completely. Part 3- train passes the car.

I tried doing algebraic manipulation to get like Vf and Vi but i am for the car but I am working with too many unknowns for my liking and it doesn't help.

Any help from the physics community here would be lovely :D

Physics news on Phys.org
pharmacy_boy said:
1. A train has a length of 92m and starts from rest with a constant acceleration at t= 0s. At this instant, a car just reaches the end of the train. The car is moving with a constant velocity. At t=12sec the car just reaches the front of the train. Ultimately, the train pulls ahead of car and at t=28sec, the car is at the end of the train once again. Find the magnitude of (a) the car's velocity; (b) the trains acceleration.

d= Vit+1/2(at2)
Vf2=Vi2+2ad
Vf=Vi+at

3. How do I go about solving this. I tried splitting the problem into three parts. Part 1- car reaches the the back of the train at time 0. Part 2- car passes the train completely. Part 3- train passes the car.

I tried doing algebraic manipulation to get like Vf and Vi but i am for the car but I am working with too many unknowns for my liking and it doesn't help.

Any help from the physics community here would be lovely :D

Your explanation of Part 2 doesn't seem to recognise that at 12 seconds the car reaches the front of the train, but the train has by then reached the speed of the train.

"At t=12sec the car just reaches the front of the train".

I hope that is enough to help.

PeterO said:
Your explanation of Part 2 doesn't seem to recognise that at 12 seconds the car reaches the front of the train, but the train has by then reached the speed of the train.

"At t=12sec the car just reaches the front of the train".

I hope that is enough to help.

yes, I understand that. This question would be easy if the train wasnt moving. But it is. Since the train is 92 meters. The distance the car would have to travel to catch up to the train at t=12 is 92+x meters. Because in those 12 seconds, the train is moving too.

So, i am still confused :(

help please :'(

Related to Help with Kinematics Problem (Two bodies in motion; one direction)

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It deals with concepts such as position, velocity, acceleration, and time.

2. What is a body in motion?

A body in motion refers to an object that is moving in a certain direction with a certain speed. It can have different types of motion such as linear, circular, or rotational.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. Velocity takes into account both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

4. How do you solve a kinematics problem with two bodies in motion in one direction?

To solve a kinematics problem with two bodies in motion in one direction, you need to first identify the initial and final positions, velocities, and accelerations of both bodies. Then, you can use equations of motion to calculate the unknown variables and solve the problem.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving kinematics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving kinematics problems include using the wrong equation, not considering the direction of motion, and forgetting to convert units. It is also important to double-check all calculations and to clearly label all given and unknown variables.