Help with kepler's law and gravitation

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with two problems regarding the distance and acceleration at a point between Earth and the Moon where the Moon's gravitational pull becomes stronger. The student is unsure of where to start and suggests looking at the relative sizes of the two bodies and their gravitational pulls. Another person suggests using Newton's law of universal gravitational attraction, but the equation may not be solvable. Finally, the solution involves equating the two g-forces and setting the acceleration to 0 at the point in question.
nithin
guys i need help with these problems.I have been trying to solve then for a long time and still cannot as i am very confused and have no where to go for help

1) On the way to the Moon , Apollo astronauts passed a point after which the moon's gravitational pull became stronger than the Earth's . a) what is the distance of that point from Earth's center. b) what is the acceleration due to the Earth's gravitation at this point?

i do not know at what distance to start and also i am not sure of what distance i should start at...

Physics news on Phys.org
I would look at the relative sizes of the Earth and the Moon. That would be a good place to start looking. Then look at what the gravitational pull is for each body independently at that point. Are they equal? If not move in one direction or another.

I am sitting in a lab right now without a reference book so I can't help you with the formula you should use for the gravitational pull but it should be in your textbook and look something like G (constant) Mass_one Mass_two / distance**2

Last edited:
Have you tried equating the two forces using Newton's law of universal gravitational attraction?

[tex]\frac{m_{earth}}{x^2} = \frac{m_{moon}}{(D - x)^2}[/tex]

Where D is the distance between the Earth and the moon.

Although I've got the sneaky feeling that this equation is not solveable.

Last edited:
nithin said:
guys i need help with these problems.I have been trying to solve then for a long time and still cannot as i am very confused and have no where to go for help

1) On the way to the Moon , Apollo astronauts passed a point after which the moon's gravitational pull became stronger than the Earth's . a) what is the distance of that point from Earth's center. b) what is the acceleration due to the Earth's gravitation at this point?

i do not know at what distance to start and also i am not sure of what distance i should start at...

For 1), let X be the distance from, for eg, Earth to that point. Equate the 2 g-forces which are in opposite direction to find X. For 2), that point is where the astronaut feels nothing, so a should be 0.

Related to Help with kepler's law and gravitation

1. What are Kepler's laws of planetary motion?

Kepler's laws of planetary motion are three scientific laws that describe the motion of planets around the sun. The first law, also known as the law of orbits, states that all planets move in elliptical orbits with the sun at one focus. The second law, known as the law of equal areas, states that a line connecting a planet to the sun will sweep out equal areas in equal time intervals. The third law, also known as the law of harmonies, states that the square of the orbital period of a planet is directly proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of its orbit.

2. What is the significance of Kepler's laws?

Kepler's laws are important because they provided a mathematical foundation for understanding the motion of planets and other celestial bodies. They also helped to disprove the geocentric model of the universe, which stated that the Earth was the center of the universe and all other objects revolved around it. Kepler's laws are still used today to study and predict the motion of planets, satellites, and other objects in space.

3. How are Kepler's laws related to gravitation?

Kepler's laws are related to gravitation through Newton's law of universal gravitation. This law states that any two objects in the universe are attracted to each other with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that the gravitational force between the sun and a planet, as described by Kepler's laws, is a result of the gravitational pull between the two objects.

4. What is the difference between Kepler's laws and Newton's laws of motion?

Kepler's laws and Newton's laws of motion are two different sets of scientific laws that describe different phenomena. Kepler's laws focus specifically on the motion of planets in the solar system, while Newton's laws of motion apply to any object in the universe. Additionally, Kepler's laws are descriptive and based on observations, while Newton's laws are more mathematical and explain the underlying principles of motion and gravity.

5. How are Kepler's laws used in modern science?

Kepler's laws are still used in modern science to study and understand the motion of planets, satellites, and other objects in space. They are also used to predict future positions and movements of these objects. In addition, Kepler's laws have been expanded upon and modified by other scientists, such as Albert Einstein, to develop more comprehensive theories of gravity and the structure of the universe.