Help with horizontal velocity

In summary: It is a great time-saver.In summary, the question is asking for another angle at which Ms. Rob could launch the rocket so that it lands in the same spot without air resistance, given that it was launched at an angle of 45 degrees. Trigonometry can be used to find the horizontal and vertical components of velocity. The range at 45 degrees is special in this scenario. If the student knows trigonometry, it is recommended to use it for a quicker solution.
Physicshelp14
Help pleasezz with horizontal velocity

Homework Statement

Ms. Rob launches a rocket from the school roof at an angle of 45 degrees and observes it's horizontal range. What other angle could she launch the rocket so that it lands in the same spot, ignoring air resistance?

Homework Equations

V=d/t
D=v/t
D=1/2gt^2
V=gt
A^2+b^2+c^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I just can't get it at all I'm getting really frustrated and it's due Friday! :cry::frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
What is special about the angle of 45deg when it comes to the range?

You can find the horizontal and vertical components of velocity from trigonometry.
recall: sin(45)=cos(45)=1/√2

You can work out the equations of motion by sketching velocity-time graphs for the components.

Please make more of an attempt at problems before posting - there is some very strict moderation going on here at the mo and you have to show some little effort beyond saying "I have no idea". You do have some ideas - you must have spent at least a year in physics class learning how to solve problems in general: do try to apply that knowledge.

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for the help I'm kinda still in Conceptual physics 1 and I don't know about trigonometry yet. Is their a simpler way? I just started science this year...thanks AGIAN

You can always draw the triangle and measure - but since this is conceptual physics, you have had a result in your notes about what to do. There's something special about the range at 45degs.

Note: If you know trigonometry anyway - do use it.

Hi there! I understand that you are struggling with understanding horizontal velocity and how to solve this problem. Let's break it down step by step.

Firstly, horizontal velocity refers to the speed at which an object is moving horizontally, or side-to-side. In this case, the rocket is being launched at an angle of 45 degrees, which means it has both a horizontal and vertical component to its velocity.

To solve this problem, we need to use some of the equations you listed above. The first equation, V=d/t, is the formula for velocity. This tells us that velocity is equal to distance divided by time. In this case, the distance is the horizontal range of the rocket, and the time is the total time the rocket is in the air.

Next, we can use the equation D=1/2gt^2, which is the formula for distance traveled under constant acceleration. In this case, g represents the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 m/s^2. By plugging in the values for distance and time, we can solve for the initial velocity of the rocket.

Now, to answer the question of what other angle could Ms. Rob launch the rocket so that it lands in the same spot, ignoring air resistance, we need to consider the horizontal and vertical components of the velocity. Since we know the initial velocity and the angle at which it was launched, we can use trigonometry to find the horizontal and vertical components.

Once we have the horizontal and vertical components, we can use the equation V=gt to find the time it takes for the rocket to reach the same spot. Then, using the equation D=v/t, we can calculate the horizontal range for this new angle.

I hope this helps you understand the problem better and gives you a starting point for solving it. Remember, if you are still struggling, don't hesitate to reach out to your teacher or classmates for help. Good luck!

Related to Help with horizontal velocity

1. What is horizontal velocity?

Horizontal velocity is the rate at which an object moves horizontally, or parallel to the ground. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s).

2. How is horizontal velocity different from vertical velocity?

Horizontal velocity refers to the motion of an object in a horizontal direction, while vertical velocity refers to the motion of an object in a vertical direction. They are two separate components of an object's overall velocity.

3. How is horizontal velocity calculated?

Horizontal velocity can be calculated by dividing the horizontal distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. This can also be expressed as the change in horizontal position divided by the change in time.

4. What factors can affect horizontal velocity?

The factors that can affect horizontal velocity include the initial speed of the object, the angle at which the object is launched, air resistance, and any external forces acting on the object such as friction or gravity.

5. How does horizontal velocity impact the trajectory of an object?

Horizontal velocity plays a crucial role in determining the trajectory of an object. The greater the horizontal velocity, the farther the object will travel before hitting the ground. Additionally, changing the horizontal velocity can alter the object's trajectory, making it more or less curved.