Help with height of image in a mirror

In summary, the object in front of a plane mirror is 0.54m tall and located 1.23m away. The image appears to be 2.460m from the object. To calculate the height of the image, use the common-sense method or look in a mirror. Make sure to include enough digits, such as 0.540m, for accurate calculations.
re496210
An object which is 0.54m tall is located 1.23m in front of a plane mirror.
How tall is the image as seen in the mirror?

I know that the image seems to be 1.23m from the surface of the mirror and that the object seems to be 2.460m from the image.

What equation do I need to use to figure out how tall the image is in the mirror.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi re496210! :smile:
re496210 said:
An object which is 0.54m tall is located 1.23m in front of a plane mirror.

What equation do I need to use to figure out how tall the image is in the mirror.

common-sense? :wink:

(or just look in a mirror)

Thanks! I thought that that was the correct answer, but every time I entered .54m into the homework, the system told me that I need more digits. I tried 0.540m and that finally worked for me.

Related to Help with height of image in a mirror

What is the relationship between the height of an object and its image in a mirror?

The height of an object and its image in a mirror are directly proportional. This means that the height of the image is equal to the height of the object.

Why does an object's image appear to be the same height in a mirror?

When light reflects off of a mirror, it follows the law of reflection which states that the angle of incidence (the angle at which the light hits the mirror) is equal to the angle of reflection (the angle at which the light bounces off the mirror). This results in the image being the same size as the object.

Does the distance between the object and the mirror affect the height of the image?

Yes, the distance between the object and the mirror does affect the height of the image. The farther the object is from the mirror, the smaller the image will appear. This is because the angle of reflection becomes smaller, resulting in a smaller image.

How does the shape of the mirror affect the height of the image?

The shape of the mirror does not affect the height of the image. As long as the mirror is flat, the image will appear the same size regardless of its shape.

Can the height of an image in a mirror be larger than the object?

No, the height of an image in a mirror cannot be larger than the object. This is because the image is formed by the reflection of light off the mirror, and the mirror can only reflect an image that is the same size as the object.