Help with gsce irrational number question

In summary, the two possible irrational values for x and y are 2+\sqrt{2} and 2-\sqrt{2}. The difference is IR-rational, but the number satisfy the given properties.
**bouncey!!**
please please help me quick!

hi i was practisin a gcse maths paper and need some help with last question;

x and y are two positive irrational numbers. x + y is rational and so it x times y.
a) by writing the 1/x + 1/y as a single fraction explain why 1/x + 1/y is always rational.

b) explain why (x-y) is always rational

c) write down two possible positive irrational values for x and y

i can do part A easily enough its just the second 2.

Physics news on Phys.org
**bouncey!** said:
hi i know this isn't really fitting for this forum but i need some maths help quick- my gcse is tomorrow!i was practisin a gcse maths paper and need some help with last question;

x and y are two positive irrational numbers. x + y is rational and so it x times y.

a) by writing the 1/x + 1/y as a single fraction explain why 1/x + 1/y is always rational.

b) explain why (x-y) is always rational

c) write down two possible positive irrational values for x and y

i can do part A easily enough its just the last two.
Best way to do b) is to do c) so that you have an example to look at:
My first thought was [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] and [itex]-\sqrt{2}[/itex] but those are not "both positive". Okay, sinc [itex]\sqrt{2}< 2[/itex], what about [itex]x= 2+ \sqrt{2}[/itex] and [itex]y= 2- \sqrt{2}[/itex]. They are both positive x+ y= 4 while xy= 4- 2= 2. Notice that I used (a- b)(a+ b)= a2- b2 there to avoid square roots? Perhaps you could show that any irrational x, y such that both x+ y and xy are rational must be of the form [itex]x= a+ b\sqrt{c}[/itex] and [itex]y= a- b\sqrt{c}[/itex] for some rational a, b, c.

As it stands, b is FALSE.
Counterexample:
[itex]x=2+\sqrt{2}, y=2-\sqrt{2}, x-y=2\sqrt{2}[/tex]
The difference is IR-rational, but the number satisfy the given properties.

I'm pretty sure you were to show that [itex](x-y)^{2}[/itex] must always be rational.

You can't do (b) because you have it wrong.

Anyways, it's harder for a number to be rational than to be irrational... so instead of picking the irrational numbers, and seeing if the right things are rational, why not pick the rational numbers, and see if the right things are irrational?

arildno said:
I'm pretty sure you were to show that [itex](x-y)^{2}[/itex] must always be rational.

That is true.

k, thanks that's has really helped!
yeah...im pretty sure it was meant to be (x-y)2!

My first thought was that b) couldn't be true but then I realized that my example did not restrict x and y to be positive. My first thought for an example for c) was, for example, [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] and [itex]-\sqrt{2}[/itex] but that's wrong: [itex]-\sqrt{2}[/itex] is not positive. Okay, but [itex]\sqrt{2}< 2[/itex] so what about [itex]x= 2+\sqrt{2}[/itex] and [itex]y= 2- \sqrt{2}[/itex]? x+ y= 4 which is rational and xy= 4- 2= 2 which is rational. Notice that this uses (a+ b)(a- b)= a2- b2 to get rid of the square roots.
Unfortunately, [itex]x- y= (2+ \sqrt{2})- (2-\sqrt{2})= 2\sqrt{2}[/itex] which is irrational! Is it possible that your problem (b) is to show that, under these conditions, x- y is irrational?

Note that this is a double post; the other is in General math, I believe.

Related to Help with gsce irrational number question

What is an irrational number?

An irrational number is a number that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. It is a non-terminating, non-repeating decimal. Examples of irrational numbers include pi and the square root of 2.

How do you determine if a number is irrational?

A number is irrational if it cannot be expressed as a fraction or ratio. This can be determined by attempting to convert the number into a fraction. If the decimal representation is non-terminating and non-repeating, then the number is irrational.

What is the difference between a rational and an irrational number?

The main difference between rational and irrational numbers is that rational numbers can be expressed as a fraction or ratio, while irrational numbers cannot. Rational numbers have a finite or repeating decimal representation, while irrational numbers have a non-terminating, non-repeating decimal representation.

How do you solve a GCSE irrational number question?

To solve a GCSE irrational number question, first identify which number is irrational. Then, use the appropriate operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division) to solve the question. Remember to use a calculator for more accurate calculations.

Can you give an example of a GCSE irrational number question?

Yes, an example of a GCSE irrational number question would be: "Solve for x: √(5x + 1) = 3". In this question, the number 3 is irrational and the goal is to find the value of x that makes the equation true.