Help with gravitational potential energy problem

In summary, using the equation E = K + U, and plugging in the known variables for the mass of the object, the gravitational constant, Earth's mass and radius, and the orbital height, it is determined that the energy required to place a 1.0-kg object in low-Earth orbit is 8.29 kWh. This is obtained by converting the calculated value of 29850000J to kWh. However, a different solution using the equations for potential and kinetic energy yields a value of 9.07 kWh. Further discussion and comparison with other solutions may be needed to determine the correct value.
lilmul123

Homework Statement

(a) Determine the energy, in kW·h, necessary to place a 1.0-kg object in low-Earth orbit. In low-Earth orbit, the height of the object above the surface of Earth is much smaller than Earth's radius. Take the orbital height to be 300 km.

G = 6.67*10^-11
Me = 5.97*10^24
Re = 6.37*10^6
m = 1
Ro = 300000

Homework Equations

E = K + U

U = (G*Me*m)/r

K = .5U

The Attempt at a Solution

What I've done is plugged in all known variables into E = K + U where r = Re + Ro. I get a final answer of 29850000J. Converting to kWh using 1 kWh = 3600000J, I get 8.29kWh. According to the book, this is incorrect. My number should be 8.7kWh. I have plugged this number into my online homework site, and it is incorrect. Can someone tell me what I'm not doing correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Initial PE = G*Me*m/R
Final PE = G*Me*m/(R+h)
KE = Final PE - Initial PE

I'm getting 9.07 KWH. It would certainly be interesting to compare our solutions and perhaps correct them both!
I used Fc = Fg
mv²/R = GMm/R²
v² = GM/R
K = .5mGM/R = 2.985 E07 J.

For the potential energy needed to lift from radius r to R I used
U = GMm/r - GMm/R = GMm(1/r - 1/R) = 2.81 E06 J.
Total of 3.27 E07 Joules.

Oh, I forgot the initial kinetic energy! Thanks once again to rl.bhat.

Thanks guys!

Related to Help with gravitational potential energy problem

What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the energy that is required to move an object from one position to another within a gravitational field.

How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

Gravitational potential energy can be calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where PE is the potential energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

What factors affect gravitational potential energy?

The factors that affect gravitational potential energy are the mass of the object, the acceleration due to gravity, and the height of the object. As any of these factors increase, so does the gravitational potential energy.

Can gravitational potential energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, gravitational potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy. When an object falls, its gravitational potential energy is converted into kinetic energy.

How is gravitational potential energy useful?

Gravitational potential energy is useful in many applications, such as calculating the amount of energy needed to lift an object, understanding the motion of planets in the solar system, and designing roller coasters and other amusement park rides.