Exploring Time Travel Through Film: Reflections on "Movie

In summary, the conversation discusses a movie that portrays time travel without attempting to explain it. The conversation also touches on other pop culture references and recommends checking out the movie's website. Some participants enjoyed the movie, while others did not. The fate of the physics teacher is debated.
i_wish_i_was_smart
if anyone has seen this movie i'd like to know your thoughts on how it portrais time travel.

Physics news on Phys.org
I saw it, and I really enjoyed it. As far as the way it portrays time travel, the most notable thing is that it makes no attempt whatsoever to explain how time travel is possible. Even Back to the Future had its Flux CapacitorTM, LOL.

Seriously though, I don't think that jusfiying time travel is within the scope of the story. They assumed that time travel is real, and told the story around it. That's why it's called "Sci-Fi".

i_wish_i_was_smart said:
if anyone has seen this movie i'd like to know your thoughts on how it portrais time travel.
OMG, that was such a good movie! My youngest daughter made me watch it. We always pick movies for each other to experience. She says it's about tangent universes.

It's a damn good movie.

Tom Mattson said:
I saw it, and I really enjoyed it. As far as the way it portrays time travel, the most notable thing is that it makes no attempt whatsoever to explain how time travel is possible.

Actually, I just now remembered the conversation between Donnie and his science teacher about wormholes.

Don't listen to me any more tonight, I'm drunk. :redface:

Tom Mattson said:
As far as the way it portrays time travel, the most notable thing is that it makes no attempt whatsoever to explain how time travel is possible.

Didn't it have something to do with whirlwinds and airplanes? :tongue2:

I haven't been that scared of a rabbit since Monty Python's Flying Circus.

i liked the movies, time travel was conceived by the use of wormholes, so they say, its somewhat believable.

hypnagogue said:
Didn't it have something to do with whirlwinds and airplanes? :tongue2:

I haven't been that scared of a rabbit since Monty Python's Flying Circus.

OK, I may be drunk, but I am positive that the scary rabbit is not from the Flying Circus, but the Holy Grail.

Break out the Holy Hand Grenades! :rofl: :rofl:

Tom Mattson said:
OK, I may be drunk, but I am positive that the scary rabbit is not from the Flying Circus, but the Holy Grail.

You are correct! "it's a killah" "big horny teeth". :biggrin:

Then they loppeth in the Holy hand grenade.

Has anyone seen "Time Bandits"?

Tom Mattson said:

oops. Yea that's what I meant.

Ni.

Evo said:
Has anyone seen "Time Bandits"?

"MUM! DAD! It's EVIL! DON'T TOUCH it!"

(Boom)

I think we all need Flux Capacitors.

Myself and Andy watched DD with 4 non-science minded girls. We enjoyed it. They didnt.

Hi, you should really check out the Donnie Darko website!

It's probably the best site I've ever seen.. :biggrin:

skowalcz said:
Hi, you should really check out the Donnie Darko website!

It's probably the best site I've ever seen.. :biggrin:

Wow. THe website is better than the movie. Why did the Physics teacher have to die?

Chi Meson said:
Wow. THe website is better than the movie. Why did the Physics teacher have to die?

:grumpy: I still have to see the movie!, so I don't know.
Somebody told me about the website and I even enjoyed it without seeing the movie :smile:

The teacher doesn't die in the movie, he only dies in the website!

What is the premise of "Movie"?

"Movie" is a science fiction film that explores the concept of time travel and its potential consequences. The main character, a scientist, creates a time machine and goes back in time to try and prevent a catastrophic event from occurring. However, his actions have unintended consequences and he must navigate the complexities of time travel to fix the damage he has caused.

How does "Movie" portray the concept of time travel?

"Movie" presents time travel as a complex and potentially dangerous technology. The film highlights the potential consequences of altering the past and the ethical considerations that come with it. It also raises questions about the nature of time and the possibility of multiple timelines.

What are the scientific theories behind time travel explored in "Movie"?

"Movie" incorporates various scientific theories, such as the concept of the space-time continuum, the possibility of wormholes, and the theory of relativity. The film also delves into the idea of parallel universes and the concept of the butterfly effect.

How does "Movie" depict the consequences of time travel?

The consequences of time travel in "Movie" are portrayed as unpredictable and far-reaching. The main character's attempts to change the past have unintended consequences that drastically alter the future. The film also explores the moral implications of changing the course of history and the potential dangers of playing with time.

What makes "Movie" a unique exploration of time travel in film?

"Movie" stands out as a thought-provoking and intellectually stimulating take on time travel. It delves into scientific theories while also questioning the moral and ethical implications of manipulating time. The film also presents a complex and non-linear narrative, keeping the audience engaged and constantly questioning the consequences of time travel.