Help with FORTRAN: Ivan Needs Assistance

• Fortran
  • Thread starter Ivan Sayago
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fortran
In summary, Ivan is looking for help with a Fortran routine he doesn't understand, and is stuck because he doesn't have the necessary tools installed on his computer.
Ivan Sayago
Hi there, first of all i am new to the forum, my name is Ivan and i am on 4th year of grade in Physics, i am doing my final work to finish the grade and i need some help in fortran.

The first thing is that i can't even run it, i am using windows 8, i don't know what compiler use or even how to use it, i need to calculate the Wigner 6j-Symbol matrix and i have the code but i have no way to use it, i could use MATLAB but it calls to a function VN02B that i don't even know what it does.

Thanks, Sorry for my english

Technology news on Phys.org
Ivan Sayago said:
Hi there, first of all i am new to the forum, my name is Ivan and i am on 4th year of grade in Physics, i am doing my final work to finish the grade and i need some help in fortran.

The first thing is that i can't even run it, i am using windows 8, i don't know what compiler use or even how to use it, i need to calculate the Wigner 6j-Symbol matrix and i have the code but i have no way to use it, i could use MATLAB but it calls to a function VN02B that i don't even know what it does.

Thanks, Sorry for my english
If you don't have a Fortran compiler installed on your machine which runs under Win 8, you're kind of stuck.

There are some open source compilers available

https://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/

but you would probably need some help in getting these routines installed before trying out your Fortran code. It's also hard to advise on a situation like this thru an internet forum. Is there someone you know who has access to these programming tools already installed, who could maybe show you how to use them?

Related to Help with FORTRAN: Ivan Needs Assistance

1. What is FORTRAN?

FORTRAN (short for Formula Translation) is a high-level programming language used for scientific and numerical computing. It was one of the first programming languages ever created and is still widely used today.

2. Who created FORTRAN?

FORTRAN was developed by a team of programmers at IBM in the 1950s led by John Backus. Its initial release was in 1957.

3. What are the benefits of using FORTRAN?

FORTRAN is specifically designed for scientific and numerical computations, making it efficient and fast for these types of calculations. It also has a large library of built-in functions and is highly portable across different computer systems.

4. Is FORTRAN still relevant in today's technology?

Yes, FORTRAN is still widely used in scientific and engineering fields. It has undergone several updates and versions over the years to keep up with modern technology and is still considered a reliable and efficient programming language for numerical computing.

5. How can I get help with FORTRAN?

There are many online resources available for learning and getting help with FORTRAN, such as tutorials, forums, and online communities. Additionally, many universities and colleges offer courses and workshops on FORTRAN programming. It is also helpful to consult with experienced programmers or seek assistance from a professional programming service.