Question about operator and eigenvectors

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of a Hermitian operator B to a normalized vector |1>, resulting in a form of b|1> + c|2>, where b and c are numerical coefficients and |2> is a normalized vector orthogonal to |1>. The question arises as to why B|1> must have this form and whether it changes if |1> is an eigenvector of B. It is clarified that b can be zero or nonzero depending on |1>'s status as an eigenvector, and an example is provided for computing the expectation value of B.
einai
Hi, I encountered the following HW problem which really confuses me. Could anyone please explain it to me? Thank you so much!

The result of applying a Hermitian operator B to a normalized vector |1> is generally of the form:

B|1> = b|1> + c|2>

where b and c are numerical coefficients and |2> is a normalized vector orthogonal to |1>.

My question is: Why B|1> must have the above form? Does it mean if |1> is an eigenstate of B, then b=!0 and c=0? But what if |1> is not an eigenstate of B?

I also need to find the expectation value of B (<1|B|1>), but I think I got this part:

<1|B|1> = <1|b|1> + <1|c|2> = b<1|1> + c<1|2> = b

since |1> and |2> are orthogonal and they're both normalized. Does that look right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can decompose any vector, such as B|1>, into two components that are proportional to and orthogonal to some vector. If |1> is an eigenvector of B, then B|1> = b|1>; b can be zero or nonzero. If |1> isn't an eigenstate of B, then neither b nor c have to be zero. You correctly computed <1|B|1>.

I should add that while b can be zero if |1> is an eigenvalue of B, that would indicate that B is a non-invertible operator, which is generally taken not to be the case in quantum mechanics.

Originally posted by Ambitwistor
You can decompose any vector, such as B|1>, into two components that are proportional to and orthogonal to some vector. If |1> is an eigenvector of B, then B|1> = b|1>; b can be zero or nonzero. If |1> isn't an eigenstate of B, then neither b nor c have to be zero. You correctly computed <1|B|1>.

Thank you very much. I got it :).

1. What is an operator?

An operator is a mathematical symbol or function that performs a specific operation on a mathematical object, such as a vector or function. In the context of linear algebra, an operator is a function that maps a vector to another vector.

2. What are eigenvectors?

Eigenvectors are special vectors associated with linear operators that represent the directions in which the operator acts by simply scaling the vector. In other words, when an operator is applied to an eigenvector, the result is a scalar multiple of the original vector.

3. How are operators and eigenvectors related?

Operators and eigenvectors are related in that an eigenvector can be thought of as a special input for the operator that results in a simple output. In other words, the eigenvector is transformed into a scalar multiple of itself by the operator.

4. What is the significance of eigenvalues for operators and eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues are the scalars that represent how much an eigenvector is scaled when the operator is applied. They are important because they provide information about the behavior and properties of the operator and its associated eigenvectors.

5. How are operators and eigenvectors used in real-world applications?

Operators and eigenvectors have many real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. They are used to model physical systems, analyze data, and solve differential equations, among other things. For example, in quantum mechanics, operators and eigenvectors are used to represent and study the properties of particles and their behavior.