Help with Eulers relation in Fourier analysis

In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling to understand a step in solving a basic problem involving Fourier analysis. They are specifically questioning why the expression "e^{jz} + e^{-jz}" becomes "2 \cos z" in the solution, despite thinking that the "twos" would cancel each other. The solution is explained using Euler's formula and the identity "e^{jz} = \cos(z) + j \sin(z)".
Huumah
Hi I'm doing Fourier analysis in my signals and system course and I'm looking at the solution to one basic problem but I'm having trouble understanding one step
awe6sNa.png

Can anyone explain to me why
ViStWY6.png

becomes
RqMZI6O.png

From Eulers formula: http://i.imgur.com/1LtTiKX.png

for example the Cosine in my problem. I thought the "twos" would cancel each other but instead becomes 4 and simular for the sine.

Physics news on Phys.org
If
[tex]\cos z = \frac{e^{jz} + e^{-jz}}{2}[/tex]
then multiply everything by 2 to get
[tex]2 \cos z = e^{jz} + e^{-jz}[/tex]

Or you can use the identity
[tex]e^{jz} = \cos(z) + j \sin(z)[/tex]
and also immediately get
[tex]e^{jz} + e^{-jz} = \cos(z) + j \sin(z) + \cos(z) - j \sin(z) = 2 \cos(z)[/tex]

Related to Help with Eulers relation in Fourier analysis

What is Eulers relation in Fourier analysis?

Euler's relation in Fourier analysis is a fundamental mathematical relationship that relates the trigonometric functions sine and cosine to the complex exponential function. It states that e^(ix) = cos(x) + i*sin(x), where e is the base of the natural logarithm, i is the imaginary unit, and x is the angle in radians.

Why is Eulers relation important in Fourier analysis?

Euler's relation is important in Fourier analysis because it allows us to express a complex function as a combination of simpler functions. This makes it easier to analyze and manipulate complex signals and systems, leading to applications in fields such as signal processing, communication systems, and image and sound processing.

What is the connection between Fourier series and Eulers relation?

Fourier series is a mathematical tool used to represent periodic functions as a sum of sine and cosine functions. Eulers relation is used to express these trigonometric functions in terms of complex exponentials, making it easier to manipulate and analyze periodic signals using Fourier series.

How is Eulers relation used to solve problems in Fourier analysis?

Euler's relation is used in various ways to solve problems in Fourier analysis. It can be used to transform between the time and frequency domains, to simplify complex integrals and differential equations, and to derive important properties and identities in Fourier analysis.

Are there any limitations to using Eulers relation in Fourier analysis?

While Eulers relation is a powerful tool in Fourier analysis, it does have some limitations. It is only applicable to signals that are continuous and periodic, and it may not work for certain types of non-linear or non-periodic signals. Additionally, Eulers relation can sometimes lead to complex solutions, which may not be physically meaningful in certain applications.