Help with Energy at inelastic collision

In summary, when a particle of mass m1 and momentum p1 collides with a particle of mass m2 at rest, a reaction occurs resulting in two new particles with masses m3 and m4. These particles are emitted at angles \theta_3 and \theta_4, and the energy produced on the reaction, Q, can be determined using the equations Q = T_f - T_i and T = \frac{p^2}{2 m}. To find Q, p_3 and p_4 must be expressed in terms of p_1, \theta_3 and \theta_4 through algebraic manipulation of the equations p_1 = p_3 cos(\theta_3) + p_4
FLms

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m1 and momentum p1 collides with a particle of mass m2 at rest. A reaction occurs, as a result giving two new particles, with masses m3 and m4, that are emitted at angles
[itex]\theta_3[/itex] and [itex]\theta_4[/itex], in relation to the original direction of m1. Determine the energy Q that has been produced on the reaction in terms of the masses, the angles and p1.

Homework Equations

[tex]Q = T_f - T_i[/tex]
[tex]T = \frac{p^2}{2 m}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]p_1 = p_3 cos(\theta_3) + p_4 cos(\theta_4)[/tex]
[tex]p_2 = 0 = p_3 sin(\theta_3) - p_4 sin(\theta_3)[/tex]
[tex]Q = T_3 + T_4 - T_1[/tex]
[tex]Q = \frac{{p_3}^2}{2m_3} + \frac{{p_4}^2}{2m_4} - \frac{{p_1}^2}{2m_1}[/tex]

I'm stuck here.
I suppose I have to, obviously, express both [itex]p_3[/itex] and [itex]p_4[/itex] in terms of [itex]p_1[/itex], but I'm not exactly sure of how to do it. Or maybe I just need some algebraic manipulation to get rid of both [itex]p_3[/itex] and [itex]p_4[/itex].

Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
That absolutely correct, you need algebraic manipulation to express [itex]p_3[/itex] and [itex]p_4[/itex] in terms of [itex]p_1[/itex], [itex]\theta_3[/itex] and [itex]\theta_4[/itex].

... and these are the equations you need to manipulate:
FLms said:
[tex]p_1 = p_3 cos(\theta_3) + p_4 cos(\theta_4)[/tex]
[tex] 0 = p_3 sin(\theta_3) - p_4 sin(\theta_3)[/tex]

Related to Help with Energy at inelastic collision

1. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is not conserved. This means that some kinetic energy is lost during the collision, typically due to the conversion of kinetic energy into other forms of energy such as heat or sound.

2. How does energy play a role in inelastic collisions?

Inelastic collisions involve a transfer of energy between objects. Some of the kinetic energy of the colliding objects is lost during the collision, leading to a decrease in the total kinetic energy of the system. The amount of energy lost depends on the nature and properties of the objects involved in the collision.

3. How can energy be conserved in an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, total energy is not conserved. However, there are some cases where certain forms of energy, such as momentum or angular momentum, may be conserved. Additionally, some energy may be conserved within the system, such as in the form of potential energy or internal energy.

4. What factors affect the amount of energy lost in an inelastic collision?

The amount of energy lost in an inelastic collision is affected by various factors, including the materials and properties of the objects involved, the angle and velocity of the collision, and the presence of external forces such as friction. These factors can impact the efficiency of the collision and determine how much energy is converted into other forms.

5. How is the coefficient of restitution related to energy in inelastic collisions?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision and is related to the amount of energy lost during the collision. In inelastic collisions, the coefficient of restitution is less than 1, indicating that some energy has been lost. The closer the coefficient is to 0, the more energy is lost in the collision.