Help with EM waves travelling through a plasma

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of determining the plasma frequency and magnetic field of a distant planet based on their use of radio waves to communicate with Earth. The emissions must pass through a radiation belt plasma in a specific way, and during solar flares, certain frequencies are unable to pass through. To solve this problem, one must first identify the type of plasma wave being used and consider its properties such as cutoffs and resonances. Chen's Introduction to Plasma Physics and Controlled Fusion is recommended as a resource for understanding plasma waves in more detail.
can't.do.phys
I've been given a practice question for an exam and I can't quite get it started. The question is: Intelligent beings on a distant planet try and communicate with Earth by sending powerful radio waves swept in frequency from 10 to 50MHz per minute. The linearly polarized emissions must pass through a radiation belt plasma in such a way that E and k are perpendicular to B0. It is found that during solar flares on their sun, frequencies between 24.25 and 28MHz do not get through their radiation belt. From this deduce the plasma frequency and magnetic field there.
I think I have to figure out the group velocity but does it also have to do with the cut off region of a plasma frequency? and how do I connect it all together to find out the plasma density and magnetic field? I'm so confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
First you need to identify what type plasma wave(s) are being used. There are a multitude of different EM waves that propagate in a plasma. Some of them have k parallel to the background B others have k perpendicular to B. The same is true with the perturbed E and background B.

Once you have narrowed down the possible waves, start looking at their properties. Do they have cutoffs? Do they have any resonances? Are there frequencies where these waves are evanescent (they don't propagate)?

How do you relate these cut-offs and such to the plasma density or background B?

I suggest looking at Chen's Introduction to Plasma Physics and Controlled Fusion for a detailed introduction to plasma waves.

Related to Help with EM waves travelling through a plasma

1. How do EM waves travel through a plasma?

EM waves travel through a plasma by oscillating the free electrons and ions within the plasma, causing them to emit radiation that propagates as an EM wave.

2. What is the effect of a plasma on EM wave propagation?

Plasmas can affect how EM waves propagate by altering their velocity, polarization, and absorption. This is due to the interaction between the EM wave and the charged particles in the plasma.

3. Can EM waves travel through a plasma at the speed of light?

No, the speed of EM waves in a plasma is typically slower than the speed of light in a vacuum. However, the speed can be increased by adjusting the plasma density and magnetic field strength.

4. How does the plasma density affect EM wave propagation?

The density of the plasma has a significant impact on EM wave propagation. Higher plasma densities can reflect or absorb EM waves, while lower densities can allow for more efficient propagation.

5. Are there any applications for using EM waves in plasmas?

Yes, there are several applications for using EM waves in plasmas, including plasma heating, fusion research, and plasma diagnostics. EM waves can also be used in plasma-based technologies such as plasma TVs and fusion reactors.