Help with drawing a free body diagram

In summary, the 10kg block hangs off the edge of a plane and there are two tensions acting on it; one upwards and the other downwards.
Nguyenfa.t

Homework Statement

http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=795802024/PictureID=21345511024/a=938016024_938016024

http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=795802024/PictureID=21338820024/a=938016024_938016024

or you can download the attachment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to make more of an effort than that if you expect us to help you. What do you think is the proper equation and how might you go about solving it? What, exactly, are you stuck on?

Start by drawing a free body diagram.

im working on the problems right now but i don't even know what forumulas to use. my physics teacher is terrible and I am taking it during the summer so it goes by real quick. I am completely lost in the course. However, he said the midterm is going to be like the practice one with just different numbers. if you could help at all it would be great

Nguyenfa.t said:
im working on the problems right now but i don't even know what forumulas to use. my physics teacher is terrible and I am taking it during the summer so it goes by real quick. I am completely lost in the course. However, he said the midterm is going to be like the practice one with just different numbers. if you could help at all it would be great

F=ma is all you need for these questions. Post your free body diagram and then we can help you further.

http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=796041024/PictureID=21357404024/a=938016024_938016024

i don't know what else to do with the free diagrams

Nguyenfa.t said:
http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=796041024/PictureID=21357404024/a=938016024_938016024

i don't know what else to do with the free diagrams

The 10kg block's weight acts vertically downwards. This weight can be split into two components, one perpendicular to the incline and one parallel to the incline. Can you split the weights into these two components?

what do you mean? are the other diagrams correct?

what do i do after the diagrams?

Last edited by a moderator:
oh okay awesome thanks for everything!

Related to Help with drawing a free body diagram

What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object. It shows all the forces acting on the object, including their direction and magnitude.

Why is it important to draw a free body diagram?

Drawing a free body diagram allows you to analyze the forces acting on an object and determine their net effect. This is important in understanding the motion and equilibrium of the object.

How do I draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, you first need to identify all the forces acting on the object. Then, draw a dot to represent the object and draw arrows to represent each force, with the direction and magnitude labeled. Make sure to also include a coordinate system to indicate the direction of the forces.

What are the different types of forces that can be included in a free body diagram?

There are several types of forces that can be included in a free body diagram, such as weight, normal force, tension, friction, and applied forces. It is important to identify and label each force accurately in order to correctly analyze the object's motion.

Can a free body diagram be used for objects in motion?

Yes, a free body diagram can be used for objects in motion. It allows you to analyze the forces acting on the object at a specific moment in time and determine the net force and resulting motion of the object.