Help with double-slit experiment

In summary, the person is asking for advice on how to do an experiment involving a double slit. They have everything they need except the double slit. They found a website that sells premade double slits but the price is too expensive. They ask a friend for help. The friend tells them that a piece of paper and a razor blade will do the trick. For the calculation, the person is free to choose any m. They measure y from the center of the central spot to the center of the bright spot they have chosen. They say good luck.
Kaldanis
This isn't really homework so please let me know if I've posted this in the wrong place. We've been given the task of carrying out an experiment on pretty much any topic. I've chosen young's double slit experiment to show that light has wave-like properties, and I'm also going to use the equation to calculate the unknown wavelengths of some light sources.

I have everything I need except the double slit. So my question is, is there anywhere to buy a premade double slit? This is the best I can find, except with postage it comes to £30... which is way too much I think. http://www.3bscientific.co.uk/diaph...01,p_83_113_872_1049.html?initOptionReferer=1

Does anyone know of any other website or way of doing it? Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, please let me know if any of this is wrong as I'm still quite new to it. I was able to set something up to produce this at home:

25kpyty.jpg

I want to calculate the wavelength of different light sources using the equation λ = y • d / (m • L), where

d = Distance between slits
L = Distance from slits to screen
y = Distance from central fringe
m = Fringe order value

d and L are easy enough. But for m, can I choose the 3rd, 4th or any fringe I want and use that in the calculation, basing y on the fringe I select? Also for y, I'm a bit confused in how to measure the distance between it and the central fringe. From which points do I measure exactly?

hello,

you have done very well with your experimental set-up; it looks beautiful.

i was going to tell you that a piece of paper and a razor blade will do the trick, but you have done very well with what ever you have used. (what are you using by the way?)

for the calculation, feel free to choose any m you want, but i would keep it small so you don't measure the 11th spot and use m=12 in your calculations!

to measure y, measure from the center of the central spot to the center of the bright spot you have chosen.

good luck.

eczeno said:
hello,

you have done very well with your experimental set-up; it looks beautiful.

i was going to tell you that a piece of paper and a razor blade will do the trick, but you have done very well with what ever you have used. (what are you using by the way?)

for the calculation, feel free to choose any m you want, but i would keep it small so you don't measure the 11th spot and use m=12 in your calculations!

to measure y, measure from the center of the central spot to the center of the bright spot you have chosen.

good luck.

Thanks for clearing it up! All I used was a piece of metal with a slit in it (used for light experiments in class). I put a sewing needle inbetween to divide it into 2 slits then aimed a laser pointer at it. It's this:

fn8m4y.jpg

brilliant! well done.

Related to Help with double-slit experiment

What is the double-slit experiment?

The double-slit experiment is a classic physics experiment that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves shining a single beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the interference pattern that is created on a screen behind the slits.

Why is the double-slit experiment important?

The double-slit experiment is important because it provides evidence for the dual nature of light, which is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. It also has implications for the understanding of other particles and their behavior.

What is the purpose of using two slits in the experiment?

The purpose of using two slits in the experiment is to create an interference pattern. When the light passes through the two slits, it behaves like a wave and interferes with itself, creating a pattern of light and dark fringes on the screen behind the slits.

How does the double-slit experiment work?

In the double-slit experiment, a single beam of light is shone through two parallel slits. The light passing through the slits creates a diffraction pattern, which is then observed on a screen behind the slits. The pattern of light and dark fringes is a result of the interference of the light waves passing through the slits.

What are the real-world applications of the double-slit experiment?

The double-slit experiment has several real-world applications, including in the development of quantum computers and in the study of the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics. It also has practical uses in the fields of optics and diffraction, such as in the design of optical devices and instruments.