Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] Help with dividing an exponent

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
MDS1005's question from Math Help Forum,

I'll keep this short. My understanding is dividing an exponent works as follows:

x^2/x^-5=x^7

The exponent rules state that you subtract the exponent in the denominator from the exponent in the numerator if they have the same base. 2 - (-5) = 7

Now, my question. Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe the answer I am looking at is wrong. I need to know which.

5x^2/10x^-5

My answer: 1/2x^7
Answer I was given: .5/x^5

The same source which provided this answer confirms my first idea of x^2/x^-5 = x^7. What changes when 5/10 is added onto the whole deal?
Hi MDS1005,

I hope you meant, that your answer is, \(\dfrac{1}{2}x^7\). If that is the case, your answer is correct and the given answer is wrong.

\[\frac{5x^{2}}{10x^{-5}}=\frac{1}{2}x^{2-(-5)}=\frac{1}{2}x^7\]

Last edited:

MDS1005

May 27, 2012
Thanks. I knew that I was correct. I actually lost a half hour of sleep last night trying to figure out how the answer I was given could possibly be correct (Wondering). And now, thanks to your recommendation I now have a new forum to ask me questions in. Thanks for that Sudharaka. I'm sure I'll have many many more questions to come, seeing as I just registered for school as a physics major and still have questions like this. Physics is going to be quite an undertaking after 10 years of not doing any math in a formal setting.

checkittwice

Apr 3, 2012
MDS1005,

you must use grouping symbols because of the Order of Operations.

So, then you would have:

5x^2/(10x^-5)

Better:

(5x^2)/(10x^-5)

Or, as:

[tex]5x^2/(10x^{-2})[/tex]

Or, better:

[tex](5x^2)/(10x^{-2})[/tex]