Help with designing a modeling experiment

In summary: By including all of these factors in your modeling, you will be able to gain a better understanding of how collisions can impact the spin rates of minor planets over long periods of time. In summary, when modeling collisions between minor planets, it is important to consider gravitational effects from major planets and other asteroids, as well as the effects of tidal forces and other non-gravitational forces, in order to accurately simulate the effects on spin rates over long timescales.
higginsdj
I want to model the results of collisions between minor planets over timescales of My and By. (I am NOT a scientist, just an observer).

Background
Years ago, the theorists did modeling of the solar system to see the impact that collisions had on the evolution of asteroids. The results were that collisions statistically accounted for a spin rate dispersion of 3h to 48h. So, anything spinning faster than 3h or slower than 48h had to have something else acting on the object. YORP came to the rescue of those spinning faster than 3h and for small objects slower than 48h including tumblers but it is a stretch for this paradigm to account for ultra slow spinners, particularly if they are larger than ~12km in diameter.

Problem
We have uncovered a few ultraslow spinners. I have just finished working 3 objects, one spinning with a period of 56h, another at 662h and another at 1332h. And these are NOT small objects (60km + in diameter). Applying Rubincams approximation, YORP 'could' despin these asteroids to such slow rates over the life of the solar system but I want to retest the collision model and see where the statistical outliers are. (The theorists put the initial spin state of asteroids at between 8h and 10h)

How
I have mathematica so have a tool to do the modeling but need some guidance. I could get it from my Professional "mentors" but frankly I do annoy them with my 'silly' questions and 'lack' of understanding (I often misinterpret what they tell me - DH on this forum can attest to my poor use of correct terminology :) - I think I am kept on simply because I provide them with good data)
Now what I was thinking I would do is set up a statistically significant number of asteroids with orbits that statistically match they Main Belt (and those that cross the main belt) at a scale that takes into account the size of the population (ie to mimic the correct density) then let the model run and at various points extract spin data from every object.

I was not planning on introducing gravitational effects from the major planets or even the gravitational interaction from other asteroids. Is this a bad thing? Note that I do not want to see 'exactly' what will happen but just see the effects of collisions over time on the Spin rates of asteroids. In the end this project may be well beyond me - but I have to start somewhere :)

Cheers

David

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Yes, it is important to consider gravitational effects from the major planets and other asteroids when modeling the results of collisions between minor planets. Without taking these into account you will not be able to accurately model how the collisions would affect the spin rates of the asteroids. In addition, you should also consider the effects of tidal forces on the asteroids, as these can have a significant impact on the spin rate. Lastly, you should also consider the effects of other non-gravitational forces, such as radiation pressure, that could also have an effect on the spin rate of the asteroids.

Related to Help with designing a modeling experiment

What is the purpose of a modeling experiment?

The purpose of a modeling experiment is to simulate real-life conditions in a controlled environment in order to gain a better understanding of a particular phenomenon or system. It allows scientists to make predictions and test hypotheses without the constraints and complexities of real-world situations.

What are the key elements of designing a modeling experiment?

The key elements of designing a modeling experiment include identifying the research question, selecting appropriate variables and controls, choosing a suitable model or simulation method, determining the appropriate scale and scope for the experiment, and planning for data collection and analysis.

How do you choose the right model for a modeling experiment?

The choice of model for a modeling experiment depends on the specific research question and the system being studied. Some factors to consider include the complexity and accuracy of the model, the availability of data for validation, and the resources and expertise required for implementation.

What are the potential limitations of a modeling experiment?

One potential limitation of a modeling experiment is the simplification of real-world conditions, which may not accurately reflect the complexity and variability of natural systems. Other limitations may include the assumption of certain relationships or parameters and the potential for errors in model implementation or data collection.

How can the results of a modeling experiment be applied in the real world?

The results of a modeling experiment can be used to make predictions and inform decision-making in a variety of fields, including engineering, economics, environmental science, and public health. They can also guide future research and inform the development of policies and strategies for addressing real-world problems.