Help with design for moving a box

In summary: It sounds like you are trying to eject a hot object out of an oven -- are there safety concerns?There are definitely safety concerns with this type of design. If you were to eject a hot object, there would be a risk of burns.
Claudia Sanchez
Hi, I'm trying to design a contraption for a project that will move an item/box up and to the side. I have a picture of what it should look like and how it should look like but I need help with the mechanics of it. The box's starting position is In the ground and under a slap of metal or wood but I need it to come out up top. So what I've been thinking is making something that you could tap with a pedal and it would come up over the metal slap and then out so it doesn't hit it. Let me know if you can think of any ways I can do that. I've attached some (poor) drawings

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    22.1 KB · Views: 577
Engineering news on Phys.org
One of the reasons for no replies in 5 hours is that your sketch is pretty much unreadable. Could you please try to make a better sketch? What is the context (work/hobby/school)? What is the application? What are the dimensions? It sounds like you are trying to eject a hot object out of an oven -- are there safety concerns? Help us out a little here so we can try to help you please.

I apologize for the inconvenience, this is for school, we're supposed to make an design so I based it on something I have been trying to improve at work. I'm trying to move a box that is on a holder on the ground up to about waist level but the box needs to move up and out. I was thinking a good/convenient way would be to operate it with a pedal but I'm still brainstorming. Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I'll be sure to include more pictures and better sketches so that is clearer. Again I apologize.

Claudia Sanchez said:
I apologize for the inconvenience, this is for school, we're supposed to make an design so I based it on something I have been trying to improve at work. I'm trying to move a box that is on a holder on the ground up to about waist level but the box needs to move up and out. I was thinking a good/convenient way would be to operate it with a pedal but I'm still brainstorming. Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I'll be sure to include more pictures and better sketches so that is clearer. Again I apologize.
No worries, and no need to apolgize. Yes, pictures would help a lot. Even if they are just pictures of you hand lifting the object through the range of motion. :smile:

Claudia Sanchez said:
I was thinking a good/convenient way would be to operate it with a pedal

Foot pedals don't usually have much travel. It sounds like the box must have a lot of travel so a purely mechanical system of levers would increase the force required. There might also be issues with controlling the speed. Small accidental foot movement produces large change in velocity. Something to think about if that's what you were planning.

Claudia Sanchez said:
Hi, I'm trying to design a contraption for a project that will move an item/box up and to the side. I have a picture of what it should look like and how it should look like but I need help with the mechanics of it. The box's starting position is In the ground and under a slap of metal or wood but I need it to come out up top. So what I've been thinking is making something that you could tap with a pedal and it would come up over the metal slap and then out so it doesn't hit it. Let me know if you can think of any ways I can do that. I've attached some (poor) drawings

How big / heavy is everything? This will alter mechanical requirements of your design.

Related to Help with design for moving a box

What is the best way to design a box for moving?

The best way to design a box for moving is to use sturdy, high-quality materials such as corrugated cardboard or plastic. Make sure the box is the appropriate size for the items you will be packing and use packing materials, such as bubble wrap or packing peanuts, to protect fragile items.

How do I ensure the box is strong enough to hold heavy items?

To ensure the box is strong enough to hold heavy items, use double-walled or reinforced cardboard. You can also add extra tape along the seams and corners for added strength. It is also important to distribute the weight evenly throughout the box.

Is it necessary to label the box?

Yes, it is important to label the box with the contents and which room it belongs in. This will make it easier to unpack and keep track of your belongings during the moving process.

What is the best way to pack fragile items?

The best way to pack fragile items is to wrap them individually in bubble wrap or packing paper and place them in the box with padding around them. It is also a good idea to mark the box as containing fragile items and to pack them on top of heavier, sturdier items.

Are there any specific regulations or guidelines for designing a box for moving?

Yes, there are specific regulations and guidelines for designing a box for moving, especially for international moves. It is important to research and follow these guidelines to ensure your items are safely and securely packed for transport.