Help with Delta Function & Spherical Electrostatic Potential

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the charge density in spherical coordinates for a spherically symmetrical electrostatic potential, represented by the equation V(r)=c(exp(-2r/a))/(4pi*epsilon*r)(1+r/a). The electrostatic field is also derived and the presence of singularities is discussed, with the need for a Dirac Delta function to represent them. The conversation also mentions using basic principles and mathematical concepts, such as Green's function and the chain rule, to find the necessary delta function.
upsidedown314
Hello,
I'm having trouble with the following problem:
The spherically symmetrical electrostatic potential of a particular object is given (in spherical coordinates) by:
[tex]V(\vec{r})=V(r)=c\frac{exp{(\frac{-2r}{a})}}{4\pi\varepsilon r} (1+\frac{r}{a})[/tex]
I found the electrostatic field in spherical coords (I think it's right),
[tex]\vec{E}(\ver{r})=\frac{c}{4 \pi \varepsilon} (\frac{2}{a r} +\frac{1}{r^2} +\frac{2}{a^2}) exp(\frac{-2 r}{a})\hat{r}[/tex]
Now I'm looking for the charge density [itex]\rho(\vec{r})[/itex] in spherical coords.
My problem is with representing the singularities with the Dirac Delta function.
I'm not sure how to do this.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Compute [itex] \rho [/itex] first and then we shall see whether a delta-Dirac is necessary.

Daniel.

I got
[tex]\rho=\frac{-c}{r \pi a^2} (r-a+1) exp(\frac{-2 r}{a})[/tex]
Will this need a Delta Function?

This looks like a hydrogen atom type charge density?
An easy way to find a delta function is to guess at where it is, integrate the E field over a sphere of radius r around it.. that will tell you the total charge inside the sphere as a function of r.. then take the limit as r goes to zero.. if that doesn't go zero, then you must have a point charge at the center of the sphere.

Go back to basics. A 1/r potential, being generated by a point charge of unit magnitude, is a green's function, and its source is represented by a delta function -- in this case delta(r). As r->0 your potential goes like 1/r, so there's a delta function. for practical purposes, del squared(1/r) = - delta(r) -- there could be a few 2pi s I've missed). With the chain rule, that's all you need. (Also see Jackson, or any E&M or Boundary Values or Potential Theory or...)

Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

Related to Help with Delta Function & Spherical Electrostatic Potential

1. What is the delta function?

The delta function, also known as the Dirac delta function, is a mathematical function that represents an idealized point mass or impulse. It is defined as 0 everywhere except at the origin, where it is infinitely tall and has an area of 1. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model point charges or point masses.

2. How is the delta function used in electrostatic potential?

The delta function is used in electrostatic potential to represent a point charge. This is because the electric potential at any point in space due to a point charge is given by the delta function. It is also used to represent the charge distribution for a point charge in the Poisson's equation for electrostatic potential.

3. What is the spherical electrostatic potential?

The spherical electrostatic potential is the potential produced by a point charge located at the center of a spherical shell. It is given by the equation V(r) = q/4πε₀r, where V(r) is the potential at a distance r from the center, q is the charge of the point charge, and ε₀ is the permittivity of free space.

4. How is the delta function used in the spherical electrostatic potential?

In the spherical electrostatic potential, the delta function is used to represent the point charge at the center of the spherical shell. This allows us to calculate the potential at any point outside the shell using the above equation. It is also used in the boundary conditions for solving the Poisson's equation for the spherical electrostatic potential.

5. What are some applications of the delta function in physics?

The delta function has various applications in physics, such as in quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and signal processing. In quantum mechanics, it is used to represent a particle in a specific position, while in electromagnetism, it is used to model point charges and point dipoles. It is also used in signal processing to represent impulses or sudden changes in a signal.