Help with DE and UNIT STEP FUNCTION

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation with a unit step function. One method is to use the Laplace transform, while another is to separate the equation into two intervals. The use of x(0) and x'(0) suggests the use of the Laplace transform. However, some individuals prefer the second method as they dislike the Laplace transform.
tung
I'm not sure how to solve a differential equation with unit step function, for example:

x'' + 2x' + x = 10t*u(t), where x(0)=1 and x'(0)=0

Do I just ignore the u(t) and solve it regularly by normal integration?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you learned the Laplace transform yet? If you have, transform both sides of the DE, and express L(x), then find the inverse Laplace of that. The fact that they gave you x(0) and x'(0) hints strongly that you should use that.

To do it without Laplace you'd have to separate the DE for 2 separate intervals, one for which u(t) = 1 and another for u(t)=0, for different intervals of t.

I really dislike the Laplace Transform! Use Defennnder's second method; solve two problems:

First solve x" + 2x' + x = 0, x(0)= 1, x'(0)= 0. Call that x1(t).

Then solve x'' + 2x' + x = 10t, x(0)= 1, x'(0)= 0. Call that x2(t).

x(t)= x1(t) for t< 0 , x2 for t> 0. Of course, they are the same at t= 0.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, well I've grown used to Laplace transform. I guess it's because once you learned something new you'll always try to find ways of applying, even if it results in a less efficient way of doing things. But anyway, it looks as though this problem was catered specially for the Laplace transform.

Related to Help with DE and UNIT STEP FUNCTION

1. What is a differential equation (DE)?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model various physical phenomena and is an essential tool in many branches of science and engineering.

2. What is a unit step function?

A unit step function, also known as a Heaviside function, is a mathematical function that is defined to be 0 for negative input values and 1 for positive input values. It is commonly used in signal processing and control systems to model sudden changes in a system.

3. How are differential equations and unit step functions related?

Unit step functions can be used to model discontinuities in a differential equation. They can be used to represent the input or initial conditions of a system, and can help in finding solutions to the differential equation.

4. How can I solve a differential equation involving a unit step function?

The key to solving a differential equation with a unit step function is to break down the solution into two parts: one for the time intervals before the step and one for the time intervals after the step. This can be done by using the properties of the unit step function and integrating the equation for each interval.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential equations and unit step functions?

Differential equations and unit step functions have numerous applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, biology, and economics. They are used to model systems involving change over time, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and control systems. They are also used in image and signal processing, where the unit step function is used to represent the edges in an image or signal.