Help with coordinate transformation problem

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving equations for elliptical cylindrical coordinates and verifying that certain relations hold true. The relevant variables are u, v, and z, and the position vector for the coordinate system can be written as r = (a * cosh (u) * cos (v))[i] + (a * sinh (u) * sin (v))[j] + z[k]. The identities sin^2=1-cos^2 and sinh^2 = cosh^2 -1 are helpful in simplifying the equations and obtaining the desired result of h_u = h_v = a * sqrt(cosh^2 (u) - cos^2 (v)) and h_z = 1.
xiphius75

Homework Statement

For elliptical cylindrical coordinates:

x = a * cosh (u) * cos (v)
y = a * sinh (u) * sin (v)
z = z

Derive the relations analogous to those of Equations (168b-e) for circular cylindrical coordinates. In particular, verify that

h_u = h_v = a * sqrt(cosh^2 (u) - cos^2 (v))
h_z = 1

u_1 = {[sinh (u) * cos (v)](i) + [cosh (u) * sin (v)](j)} / sqrt(cosh^2 (u) - cos^2 (v))
u_2 = {[cosh (u) * sin (v)](-i) + [sinh (u) * cos (v)](j)} / sqrt(cosh^2 (u) - cos^2 (v))

Homework Equations

From the book:
h_u = magnitude( dr/du_1)
and similarly for h_v and h_z

U_u = h_u * u_u

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I think I am either getting confused between u's or am missing some vital trig identity.
From the equations given for the x,y and z coordinates, I get that the new relevant variables are u, v and z. So the position vector for the coordinate system can be written as:

r = (a * cosh (u) * cos (v)) + (a * sinh (u) * sin (v))[j] + z[k]

So, from here I can get:

u_u = (dr/du_u) = (a * sinh (u) * cos (v)) + (a * cosh (u) * sin (v))[j] + 0[k]
u_v = (dr/du_v) = (-a * cosh (u) * sin (v)) + (a * sinh (u) * cos (v))[j] + 0[k]
u_z = (dr/du_z) = 0 + 0[j] + 1[k]

from here, it follows from the formulas in the book that:

h_u = magnitude(dr/du_u) = sqrt [(a * sinh (u) * cos (v))^2 + (a * cosh (u) * sin (v))^2 + 0^2]

=a * sqrt[sinh^2 (u) cos^2 (v) +cosh^2 (u) sin^2 (v)]

This is as far as I can simplify it, and I do not know how they are getting their answer of a * sqrt(cosh^2 (u) - cos^2 (v)), unless there is some identity that I am unaware of or I screwed something up somewhere along the line. Any ideas or insight from someone who has done coordinate transformations before?

Physics news on Phys.org
You might find the next identities helpful:
sin^2=1-cos^2

sinh^2 = cosh^2 -1

That helped greatly! Thanks! I was aware of the sin - cos identity, but had never been taught the hyperbolic identities. With those I easily get the answer they give.

Related to Help with coordinate transformation problem

1. What is a coordinate transformation problem?

A coordinate transformation problem refers to the process of converting coordinates from one system to another. This is commonly done when working with different coordinate systems such as Cartesian, spherical, or cylindrical coordinates.

2. Why is coordinate transformation important in science?

Coordinate transformation is important in science because it allows us to accurately represent and analyze data in different coordinate systems. This is especially useful when working with complex or multidimensional data, as it allows for easier visualization and analysis.

3. What are some common applications of coordinate transformation in science?

Coordinate transformation is used in a variety of scientific fields, including physics, geography, astronomy, and engineering. Some common applications include mapping and navigation, data analysis, and modeling physical systems.

4. How do you perform a coordinate transformation?

The exact method for performing a coordinate transformation will depend on the specific coordinate systems involved. In general, it involves using mathematical equations or algorithms to convert coordinates from one system to another. Software programs and tools are also available to assist with this process.

5. What are some challenges or limitations of coordinate transformation?

One challenge of coordinate transformation is ensuring accuracy and precision in the conversion process. Small errors or inconsistencies in the equations or data can lead to significant discrepancies in the final results. Additionally, some coordinate systems may not be easily compatible or may require more complex transformations, making the process more challenging.