Help with concepts of Drift Velocity

In summary, drift velocity refers to the average velocity of charged particles under the influence of an electric field. It is directly proportional to the current and is affected by the strength of the electric field, material density, and particle mobility. It is a specific type of average velocity that only applies to charged particles, unlike average velocity which can apply to any type of motion. Drift velocity can be negative if the electric field is opposite to the direction of the charged particles.
yang09

Homework Statement

Attached to my forum is my homework. I need help with #9 and #10. I have no clue on where to start. Anything is helpful

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• problem_pdf.pdf
    30 KB · Views: 426
Physics news on Phys.org
People on this forum will not do your work for you. You're going to have to give it a go tiger.

Related to Help with concepts of Drift Velocity

1. What is drift velocity?

Drift velocity refers to the average velocity of charged particles, such as electrons, in a material under the influence of an electric field.

2. How is drift velocity related to current?

The drift velocity of charged particles is directly proportional to the current in a material. This means that as the drift velocity increases, so does the current.

3. What factors affect the drift velocity of charged particles?

The drift velocity is affected by the strength of the electric field, the density of the material, and the mobility of the charged particles.

4. How is drift velocity different from average velocity?

Drift velocity is a specific type of average velocity that only applies to charged particles in a material under the influence of an electric field. Average velocity, on the other hand, can apply to any type of motion.

5. Can drift velocity be negative?

Yes, drift velocity can be negative if the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the charged particles. This means that the particles are moving in the opposite direction of the electric field.