Help with computer engineering problem

In summary, the conversation involves discussing a schoolwork problem and addressing the need to show effort before receiving tutorial help. The topic of 2-way and 4-way caches is brought up and the effects of their differences on the problem are questioned. The person then shares their solutions for parts a and b of the problem, mentioning 15 bits and 14 bits for the tag length. The conversation ends by asking for clarification on how those numbers were obtained.
imixerik
Homework Statement
Consider a system that can host 64 GB of memory and has 8MB of L3 cache. Suppose that each cache line contains 4 chunks, each of size 16B.

a) Assuming 4-way associative cache, what are the lengths (in bits) of the following: tag, cache index, and block offset?

b) How does this change for a 2-way cache?

c) Suppose that if L3 is organized as 2-way, the access time is 20 cycles, but increases to 22 cycles if organized as 4-way, but the miss probability from L3 decrease from 12% to 10%. Suppose that the misses from L3 go to memory, and the average memory latency is 64 cycles. State which option is better and why.

d) Now suppose that the L2 cache can be organized as direct map or 4-way. In the first case, the L2 limited CPI (i.e., CPI if there is no miss out of L2) is 3.5 and MPI out of L2 is 0.08. In the second case, the CPI increases to 3.8 but the MPI is 0.06. Determine the best configuration for this system by considering all four possibilities: (i) DM L2, 2-way L3, (ii) DM L2, 4-way L3, (iii) 4-way L2, 2-way L3, and (iv) 4-way L2, 4-way L3.
Relevant Equations
Not sure what equations to use
Have been trying to figure out this problem for quite some time but don't know how to approach it.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show some effort on your schoolwork questions before we can offer tutorial help.

Start by defining 2-way and 4-way caches for us please. What effects will the differences have on this problem?

berkeman said:
You need to show some effort on your schoolwork questions before we can offer tutorial help.

Start by defining 2-way and 4-way caches for us please. What effects will the differences have on this problem?
Hey,

I worked through the problem and would like to believe I reached the correct solution for a and b. For a, i got 15 bits for the tag length and for b, i got 14 bits for the tag length.

imixerik said:
Hey,

I worked through the problem and would like to believe I reached the correct solution for a and b. For a, i got 15 bits for the tag length and for b, i got 14 bits for the tag length.
Great! Can you show us how you worked the numbers to get those answers? :smile:

Related to Help with computer engineering problem

1. How do I troubleshoot a computer engineering problem?

There are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot a computer engineering problem. First, try restarting your computer as this can often fix minor issues. If that doesn't work, check for any updates for your software and drivers. You can also try running a virus scan to see if malware is causing the problem. If the issue persists, it may be helpful to consult online forums or reach out to a professional for assistance.

2. What is the best programming language for computer engineering?

The best programming language for computer engineering depends on your specific needs and preferences. Some popular options include C++, Java, Python, and JavaScript. It's a good idea to research each language's capabilities and choose one that aligns with your project goals.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in computer engineering?

To improve your problem-solving skills in computer engineering, practice is key. Try to solve a variety of problems and challenges, even if they seem difficult at first. It's also helpful to work with a mentor or join a community of computer engineers to learn from others and get feedback on your solutions.

4. What are the common mistakes to avoid in computer engineering?

Some common mistakes to avoid in computer engineering include not properly testing your code, not considering scalability and maintenance, and not following best practices and coding standards. It's important to thoroughly test and document your work to ensure it functions correctly and can be easily maintained in the future.

5. How can I stay updated with new advancements in computer engineering?

To stay updated with new advancements in computer engineering, it's helpful to regularly read industry publications, attend conferences and workshops, and follow influential individuals and organizations in the field on social media. It's also important to continue learning and experimenting with new technologies and techniques on your own.