Help with compressible flow problems

In summary, to calculate the pressure increment required to isentropically compress air and water at 1 atm and 20°C to 50% of their volume, you will need to use the equation P2/P1 = V1/V2 * γ = T2/T1 * (γ/(γ-1)). Using the given values for the isentropic bulk modulus for water at 20°C and the ideal gas assumption for air, you can solve for the pressure increment, which is equal to 383.9 Pa. It may be helpful to review lecture notes or find additional practice resources for these types of questions.
thepipplesh

Homework Statement

Calculate the pressure increment required to isentropically compress air and water at 1 atm and 20°C to 50% of their volume. The isentropic bulk modulus for water at 20°C is 2.24 109 N/m2, and air can be considered an ideal gas with γ =1.4 .

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{P2}{P1}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{V1}{V2}[/itex]γ=[itex]\frac{T2}{T1}[/itex][itex]\frac{γ}{γ-1}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\frac{P2}{1013.25Pa}[/itex]=(0.5)1.4=383.9 Pa

I am reading ahead on the lecture notes which literally just show me how to derive the equation i provided so I have no clue at all what I'm doing would appreciate any pointers/ resources to get more practice on these types of questions :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Related to Help with compressible flow problems

1. What is compressible flow?

Compressible flow is a type of fluid flow in which the density of the fluid changes significantly due to changes in pressure and temperature. This type of flow is commonly observed in gases, such as air, and is characterized by the presence of shock waves and compressibility effects.

2. What are some common problems encountered in compressible flow?

Some common problems encountered in compressible flow include the formation of shock waves, flow separation, and non-uniform velocity and pressure distributions. These can lead to challenges in accurately predicting the behavior of the fluid and designing efficient and safe systems.

3. How is compressible flow different from incompressible flow?

The main difference between compressible and incompressible flow is that in compressible flow, the density of the fluid changes significantly, while in incompressible flow, the density remains constant. This leads to different equations and models being used to analyze and predict the behavior of the fluid.

4. What are some methods for solving compressible flow problems?

There are several methods for solving compressible flow problems, including numerical methods such as finite difference and finite volume methods, as well as analytical methods such as the method of characteristics. These methods involve solving differential equations and boundary conditions to obtain solutions for variables such as velocity, pressure, and density.

5. How is compressible flow relevant in real-world applications?

Compressible flow is relevant in many real-world applications, such as in the design of aircraft, rockets, and gas pipelines. Understanding the behavior of compressible fluids is crucial in ensuring the safety and efficiency of these systems. Additionally, compressible flow is also relevant in weather forecasting and in the study of atmospheric phenomena, such as hurricanes and tornadoes.