Help With Circular Motion Doubts

In summary, the conversation discusses the role of friction in circular motion and how it relates to the direction of the velocity and the centripetal force. It is mentioned that friction is necessary for the vehicle to move in a circle, but the direction of the friction force can be confusing. The second image discusses the motion of a vehicle on a banked road and how friction keeps the horizontal component of the normal force at zero. It is clarified that friction does not oppose motion, but rather opposes the tendency of motion at the point of contact.
Cromptu
Hello! I have a few doubts in circular motion and I'd really appreciate your help :)

1) There is a statement in my book ( I have attached images - the first one) according to which the only horizontal force towards the center on the vehicle is friction. I know that some centripetal force is necessary for the vehicle to move in a circle..but why friction? Friction opposes motion, yes, but if there is no friction, the body will move in the direction of its velocity which is tangential. So why isn't friction opposite to the direction of the velocity? Why is the direction of friction towards the center? Also, it is mentioned that static friction acts on the vehicle. But why static friction..if the body is moving? :/

2) The second image that I have attached describes the motion of a vehicle when the road is banked at an angle θ. But it says that the frictional force keeps the value of horizontal component of Normal force zero.What do they mean by this? Does friction balance this horizontal component? IF it does, why will there be an acceleration towards the center? And they haven't even shown the force of friction in the FBD..I am really very confused :/

- I have marked the lines with an *

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 410
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 424
Physics news on Phys.org
The friction force towards the centre of the circle arises because the front wheels are turned inwards. This is not obvious in the diagram. I am assuming the track is horizontal.
If the track is 'banked' it is possible for the centripetal force to come about without friction.

Cromptu said:
Also, it is mentioned that static friction acts on the vehicle. But why static friction..if the body is moving?
As long as the tires aren't skidding along the pavement, the friction involved will be static friction. Realize that there is no relative motion (no slipping) between the patch of tire in contact with the road and the road. Kinetic friction requires such relative motion.

2) The second image that I have attached describes the motion of a vehicle when the road is banked at an angle θ. But it says that the frictional force keeps the value of horizontal component of Normal force zero.What do they mean by this?
I believe that it's just an awkwardly constructed sentence. They mean that the friction force is kept to zero, not the horizontal component of the normal force.

Likes 1 person
In the case of cars friction is responsible for linear motion, it is the force that pushes the car forward against air drag. In the first image we do not have a tangential force but that does not mean that there is no tangential friction force it means just that it cancels out with the air drag.In a real car things are bit more complicated because of the direction of the front wheels but in the end it is still correct to think that we have a single centripetal friction force acting on the center of mass of the car.

In the second figure they show that if the geometry is correct for some speeds and some cars there will be no tangential friction force.

you can understand the meaning correctly and app. after you study rotation torque and rolling.

Just to clarify something. Friction does NOT oppose the motion. Friction opposes the tendency of the motion of the point of contact between the object and the surface.

For example an upward rolling ball on an inclined plane is submitted to upward frictional force. In this case, the direction of friction is the same as that the whole motion of the ball, but it opposes the tendency of the motion of the point of contact.

1. What is circular motion and how does it differ from linear motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object around a fixed point or axis, whereas linear motion is the movement of an object in a straight line. In circular motion, the direction of the object changes constantly, while in linear motion, the object moves in a single direction.

2. What is the centripetal force in circular motion?

The centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of a circular path, keeping an object in circular motion. It is always perpendicular to the direction of motion and is responsible for changing the direction of the object's velocity.

3. How is centripetal force related to circular motion?

Centripetal force is directly proportional to the mass and the square of the velocity of an object in circular motion. It is also inversely proportional to the radius of the circular path. This means that as the mass or velocity of the object increases, the centripetal force required to keep it in circular motion also increases. Similarly, as the radius of the circular path increases, the centripetal force decreases.

4. What is the difference between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement, while linear velocity is the rate of change of linear displacement. In simpler terms, angular velocity measures how fast an object is rotating, while linear velocity measures how fast an object is moving in a straight line.

5. How is circular motion related to other concepts in physics?

Circular motion is closely related to other fundamental concepts in physics, such as force, velocity, and acceleration. It also has applications in areas such as rotational dynamics, gravitation, and electromagnetism. Understanding circular motion is essential for understanding many other physical phenomena and for solving real-world problems in fields such as engineering and astronomy.