Help With Circuits Regarding Ohms

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of using a y-connector to make a stereo amp head with two 75w outputs into a mono cab with only one speaker input. The person asking for help is advised against this as it could damage the amplifiers and may require a specialized configuration known as a bridge configuration. The conversation also includes a circuit diagram to visualize the setup.
aitchfourex
Hello, I feel like an idiot because I can't answer this myself (I forgot my high school physics).

I have a stereo amp head that has two speaker outputs at 75w each. Each of these outputs has a resistance of 8 ohms each. My cab, however, is mono, and only has 1 speaker input. The cab I own is an 8 ohm cabinet, but it is mono, and only has 1 speaker input. Would it be safe to use a y-connector to make the stereo outputs mono? I'm not sure of what the final ohms would be.

I drew a crude circuit diagram for you all to visualize.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6374/dfgjg.jpg

I appreciate all the help. Thank you!

*This is NOT a homework question. This is a question with a physics problem I encountered in REAL LIFE*

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Most info I have seen wants just the left input when going to mono.

Do NOT do this.

You will simply damage the output sections of one or both amplifiers at best and achieve a loud bang at worst.

You should never common the outputs of amplifiers, especially not 75 watt ones.

It may be possible to configure the outputs to achieve what is known as a bridge configuration, but you will then require a special drives to drive the amps in antiphase. This configuration also connects speaker differentsly as well.

Hope I am not too late.

Related to Help With Circuits Regarding Ohms

1. What is the unit of measurement for resistance?

The unit of measurement for resistance is Ohms, represented by the symbol Ω.

2. How do you calculate total resistance in a circuit?

To calculate total resistance in a circuit, you can use Ohm's Law: R = V/I, where R is resistance in Ohms, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amps.

3. What is the relationship between voltage and resistance in a circuit?

There is an inverse relationship between voltage and resistance in a circuit. This means that as resistance increases, voltage decreases, and vice versa.

4. What happens to current when resistance increases?

When resistance increases, current decreases. This is because as resistance increases, there is more opposition to the flow of current in the circuit.

5. How does the length and thickness of a wire affect resistance?

The length of a wire has a direct relationship with resistance, meaning that as the length increases, resistance increases. The thickness (or cross-sectional area) of a wire also affects resistance, with a thicker wire having less resistance than a thinner wire.