Help with calculations using molar mass

In summary, your chemistry teacher's equation shows that the number of moles in a compound can be calculated by dividing the mass of the sample (in grams) by the molar mass of the compound (in grams/mol). To convert this to the equation mol = g x (mol/g), you simply rearrange the equation and use dimensional analysis. This formula can be helpful in determining the amount of moles in a given sample, such as 18 grams of carbon.
Grace Otto
So my chemistry teacher said that: Moles of a compound = mass of the sample (grams) ÷ molar mass of the compound (grams/mol)

So how do i get from there to the equations mol = g x (mol/g)??

I would like to know the steps involved i.e. rearranging the equation, dimensional analysis

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What happens when you "÷ molar mass of the compound (grams/mol)" ?

Im not sure exactly what your question is because it did not really make sense. But the meaning of that equation is to tell you the amount of moles that are in a certain quantity of a molecule. For example:
If there are 18 grams of carbon we can figure out how many moles there are by using the equation.

moles=amount/molar mass

That is, moles = 18/12
moles = 1.5
So there are 1.5 moles in 18 grams of carbon.
Good Luck from a fellow chem student

Grace Otto said:
So my chemistry teacher said that: Moles of a compound = mass of the sample (grams) ÷ molar mass of the compound (grams/mol)
The dimensional analysis is already done, right here, but I'll restate it in nicer format. ##\frac{[g]}{[g/mol]}=[g]\frac{1}{[g/mol]}=[g][mol/g]=[mol]##. Note that dividing by a fraction is simply multiplication by it's reciprocal.

Related to Help with calculations using molar mass

1. What is molar mass and why is it important?

Molar mass is the mass of one mole of a substance, which is equal to its atomic or molecular weight in grams. It is important because it allows us to convert between the mass of a substance and the number of moles, which is crucial for performing calculations in chemistry.

2. How do I calculate molar mass?

To calculate molar mass, you need to find the atomic or molecular weight of each element in the compound and then multiply it by the number of atoms or molecules present. Then, add all of these values together to get the molar mass of the compound.

3. Can you provide an example of calculating molar mass?

Sure, let's take water (H2O) as an example. The atomic weight of hydrogen is 1.01 g/mol, and oxygen is 16.00 g/mol. Since there are two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom in water, the molar mass would be (2 x 1.01) + 16.00 = 18.02 g/mol.

4. How can molar mass be used in stoichiometry?

In stoichiometry, we use molar mass to convert between the mass of a substance and the number of moles. This allows us to determine the amount of reactants needed to produce a certain amount of product, or the amount of product that can be produced from a given amount of reactants.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using molar mass in calculations?

One common mistake is forgetting to convert units, as molar mass is typically given in grams per mole. It's also important to use the correct molar mass for each element, as some elements may have different isotopes with varying atomic weights. Additionally, make sure to use the correct number of atoms or molecules when calculating molar mass for a compound.