Help with balancing equations.

In summary, the conversation discusses writing and balancing equations for various reactions, as well as calculating the amount of substances needed for neutralization and production of water vapor. The equations provided are balanced correctly, but there was a mistake in identifying the formula for mercury (I) nitrate.
greg153
I completed these, and I wanted to check if I did them correctly.

A)Write and balance equations for these reactions:
1.zinc + mercurous nitrate -->
Zn + 2HgNO3 -> Zn(NO3)2 + 2Hg

OR
2Zn + Hg2(NO3)2 -> 2Hg + ZnNO3

2.tin + antimony (V) chloride -->
Sn + SbCl4 -> Sb + SnCl4

3.calcium carbonate + hydrobromic acid -->
CaCO3 + 2HBr -> CaBr2 + CO2 + H2O
I had a lot of difficulty with this one, not sure if I am close.

B)
1. How many grams of sulphuric acid will neutralize 10.0g of sodium hydroxide?
I figured out the answer for this as 12.3 g of sulphuric acid but I am having problems with part 2.

2. What volume of water vapour at 100 'C and 110kPa would also be produced?
p = 110000 / 101325 = 1.09 atm
V = nRT / p
= 0.25 x 0.0821 x 373 K/ 1.09
= 7.02 L

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Except for a mistake on the second look at the first one (how many zincs are on the LHS compared to the RHS?), everything seems okay to me.

Mindscrape said:
Except for a mistake on the second look at the first one (how many zincs are on the LHS compared to the RHS?), everything seems okay to me.

Thanks. So would this be correct?
Zn + 2HgNO3 -> Zn(NO3)2 + 2Hg

This is correctly balanced, but I would write mercury (I) nitrate as Hg2(NO3)2. Mercury (I) comes as diatomic cation Hg22+.

Related to Help with balancing equations.

What is the purpose of balancing equations?

The purpose of balancing equations is to ensure that the number of atoms on the reactant side is equal to the number of atoms on the product side. This is necessary to follow the law of conservation of mass, which states that matter cannot be created or destroyed in a chemical reaction.

What are the steps to balance an equation?

The steps to balance an equation are:
1. Write out the unbalanced equation, with the reactants on the left side and the products on the right side.
2. Count the number of atoms of each element on both sides of the equation.
3. Add coefficients (numbers in front of each compound) to balance the elements with the highest number of atoms first.
4. Check that all elements are balanced by counting the atoms again.
5. If necessary, adjust the coefficients until the equation is balanced.

What is the meaning of coefficients in a balanced equation?

Coefficients represent the number of molecules of each compound involved in a chemical reaction. They are used to balance equations by adjusting the number of atoms on each side of the equation.

What happens if an equation is not balanced?

If an equation is not balanced, it means that the law of conservation of mass is not being followed. This can lead to incorrect results in experiments and calculations, as well as incomplete or failed reactions.

Are there any tips for balancing equations?

Some tips for balancing equations include:
- Start by balancing the elements with the highest number of atoms first.
- Use fractions when necessary, as long as all coefficients are multiplied by the same number to get whole numbers.
- Check your work by counting the atoms on both sides of the equation.
- Remember that balancing an equation is a trial-and-error process, so be patient and keep trying until the equation is balanced.