Help with an Electromagnetic tether robot

In summary, the robot must be able to stay a constant distance from an electromagnetic beacon, and the transmitter must be able to change the desired distance. The robot must also be able to come as close as 20cm and as far as about 10m or more.
atbaum
As a part of a school project I am required to build an electromagnetic tether robot. The robot needs to stay a constant distance from an electromagnetic beacon. As well as keeping a constant distance the transmitter can change the desired distance. (eg. move closer/move farther commands). The robot must be able to come as close as 20cm and as far as about 10m or more.

After hours of research and internet searching I'm at a loss on how to implement the magnetic transmitter/receiver.

I'm thinking the transmitter will give off electromagnetic waves at some frequency and then the receiver will have some sort of LC circuit that has the same resonant frequency as the transmitted signal. Our project description says that the robot should read the signal using a couple of inductive sensors and then use a micro-controller to determine the distance.

What I am unsure of is how exactly I can make this transmitter/receiver and how I can get a distance measurement on the receiving end as well as the move closer and farther commands. I was thinking I can use the fact that magnetic field decays at a rate of 1/r^3 but there also needs to be some sort of serial communication in order to command the robot to move farther away or closer.

Any tips or resources to help me with this would be awesome.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You might consider using the industry standard ADVFC32 voltage-to-frequency or frequency-to-voltage converter to send your data unidirectionally.

See pages 5 and 6 for a high noise immunity data link. Instead of using the optocoupler as shown, substitute a IRED transmitter and a photodiode receiver on your movable object.
http://html.alldatasheet.com/html-pdf/48916/AD/ADVFC32/125/5/ADVFC32.html

Related to Help with an Electromagnetic tether robot

1. What is an electromagnetic tether robot?

An electromagnetic tether robot is a type of robot that uses an electromagnetic tether, or a long cable, to move and perform tasks. The tether is connected to a power source and the robot can use the magnetic field created by the current in the tether to move and manipulate objects.

2. How does the electromagnetic tether work?

The electromagnetic tether works by creating a magnetic field around the robot. The robot has an electromagnet that can be turned on and off to control the strength and direction of the magnetic field. By adjusting the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the robot can move and perform tasks.

3. What are the advantages of using an electromagnetic tether robot?

There are several advantages to using an electromagnetic tether robot. Firstly, the robot does not require any wheels or tracks to move, making it more versatile and able to navigate different types of terrain. Additionally, the tether provides a constant source of power, eliminating the need for frequent recharging or refueling. The robot can also be controlled remotely, reducing the risk to human operators in hazardous environments.

4. What types of tasks can an electromagnetic tether robot perform?

An electromagnetic tether robot can perform a variety of tasks, such as inspection, maintenance, and repair tasks in hazardous environments. It can also be used for exploration and search and rescue missions in areas that are difficult for humans to access. Additionally, the robot can be used for industrial tasks, such as material handling and assembly line operations.

5. What are the potential limitations of an electromagnetic tether robot?

One potential limitation of an electromagnetic tether robot is the length of the tether, which can limit the robot's range of movement. The robot also relies on a constant power source, so any disruption or damage to the tether can affect its functionality. Additionally, the robot may not be suitable for tasks that require precise and delicate movements, as the magnetic field can be difficult to control in these situations.