Help with air pressure/volume in an air cannon

In summary, the person is asking for help with a physics problem involving creating an air cannon for paintball. They are wondering if using a larger expansion chamber with lower pressures would still achieve a decent velocity for the projectile. They also ask if there are any equations to calculate pressure, volume, and velocity. The response is that using lower pressure will actually decrease velocity, and increasing the amount of air blown on the projectile may help by increasing the length of the barrel. The person also provides some math and suggests using a tank with higher pressure and a small air compressor rather than a tire pump. They also mention that the size of the pressure chamber compared to the barrel may affect the change in pressure as the projectile moves down the barrel.
Ghostfire 19
Hey I am new here and I've got a small physics problem for you guys (and any gals out there).

I am making an air cannon for use in scenario paintball. The way its set up now is with a small expansion chamber that holds very high pressure air. I am wondering if i can use a much larger expansion chamber and use much lower pressures and still achieve a somewhat decent velocity out of the barrel. If this is possible, are there any equations that i can use to calculate pressure vs volume vs velocity? I know there are many other variables, but I am assuming no friction, the valve is 3/4in wide, and the projectile is about 70g. (im doing this so i can charge it with a tire pump rather than expensive compressed co2)

Thanks for the help in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you use a lower pressure you will actually lose velocity. Think about this. Pressure is force over an area correct? So if you keep your area the same, the firing chamber, and the force decreases if the pressure decreases. So what is going on is that you are pushing your paintball with a lower force and so it will have a slower speed. What you have done is that you have increased the amount of air you are blowing on it, which might actually help you if you increased the length of your barrel. Basically the more air you have the longer you can blow on the ball down the chamber, but to make this possible you would probably have to make the barrel extremely long.

But. In any air cannon the volume of the tank of compressed air compared to the barrel is always or should be greater.

Here is some math for you, Say you have 100psi in your original tank. and for sake of simplicity let's make your chamber with 1inch. So when you open the valve you will be giving a force of 100(pi)pounds. If you decrease the pressure to say 30? you will have a force of 30(pi)pounds.

To find your velocity i would need to know the length of the barrel and then you would use 2AD=Vf^2 where A is your acceleration found by F=MA, D is the distance of the barrel and Vf is your final velocity(all neglecting friction and such).

In conclusion, The pressure is the only thing that will change the velocity of your ball, that and the barrel but the barrel wouldn't change it as drastically as the pressure. My addvice. Find a tank that can hold close to or higher than the pressure of the compressed CO2 and a small air compressor. A tire pump could never get the the pressures of compressed co2... If i am not mistaken.

How large is the pressure chamber relative to the barrel? If it is large then then the previous post is correct but if your pressure chamber is 5 cubic inches and your barrel is 15 cubic inches then the pressure will most certainly change as the paint ball moves down the barrel and this change needs to be accounted for.

Related to Help with air pressure/volume in an air cannon

1. How does air pressure affect the performance of an air cannon?

Air pressure is a crucial factor in determining the power and distance of an air cannon. The higher the air pressure, the greater the force pushing the projectile out of the cannon. This results in a longer and more powerful launch. Conversely, lower air pressure will result in a weaker and shorter launch.

2. What is the ideal air pressure to use in an air cannon?

The ideal air pressure for an air cannon will vary depending on the size and design of the cannon. Generally, it is recommended to use air pressures between 50-100 PSI for optimal performance. However, it is important to always follow the manufacturer's guidelines and safety precautions when using an air cannon.

3. How can I increase the air pressure in an air cannon?

The air pressure in an air cannon can be increased by using a larger and more powerful air compressor. Additionally, using a longer and wider barrel can also increase the air pressure and therefore the launch distance. However, it is important to only use air pressures that are safe for the cannon and follow all safety guidelines.

4. What is the relationship between air pressure and volume in an air cannon?

The relationship between air pressure and volume in an air cannon is known as Boyle's Law, which states that as the volume of a gas (in this case, air) decreases, the pressure increases. This means that by decreasing the volume of air in the cannon, the air pressure will increase, resulting in a more powerful launch.

5. How do I calculate the air pressure and volume needed for my air cannon?

Calculating the ideal air pressure and volume for an air cannon can be a complex process and will depend on factors such as barrel size, projectile weight, and desired launch distance. It is recommended to consult with an expert or use online calculators to determine the appropriate air pressure and volume for your specific air cannon.