Help with a simultaneous trig problem

• Thread starter ScottH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation is about someone asking for help with a simultaneous trig equation and another person providing two tricks to solve it. The first trick involves writing Asinθ + Bcosθ as Csin(θ + φ) and the second trick involves using the identity cos2θ + sin2θ = 1. The person asking for help thanks the other person and plans to try and solve the equation using these tricks.
ScottH
Hi all. I have to solve this simultaneous trig equation and I am stumped. Can anybody give me a worked solution please?

b*cos 30 = 1375*cos theta (i)
b*sin 30 + 1375 sin theta = 1500 (ii)

I end up with:

b= 1375cos theta / cos 30
substituting into (ii)
1375 cos theta/cos30 * sin 30 + 1375 sin theta = 1500
1375 cos theta * sin30/cos30 + 1375 sin theta = 1500
1375 cos theta tan 30 + 1375 sin theta = 1500

From here I'm lost
Please help !

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi ScottH! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and a phi: φ and a degree: ° :wink:)

Here's two tricks you need to become familiar with:

i] Asinθ + Bcosθ cab be written as Csin(θ + φ), where tanφ = B/A

ii] eliminate θ first (instead of b) by using cos2θ + sin2θ = 1 :smile:

Hi there tiny-tim. Thanks for your reply. I'm no mathematician by any stretch, just trying to get my head around this as part of my engineering course. Could you possibly show me how you would use these tricks in my equation? If you can that would be great. Again, thanks for your time in replying.
Cheers ScottH

Hi ScottH!

Sorry, on this forum you have to do the work yourself.

Start with your 1375 cosθ tan 30 + 1375 sinθ …

put it in the from Csin(θ + φ) :smile:

Thanks tiny tim- I'll see how I go. Have a great day !

Related to Help with a simultaneous trig problem

What is a simultaneous trig problem?

A simultaneous trig problem is a mathematical question that involves solving multiple equations or unknowns using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. It can also involve finding the relationship between different trigonometric ratios.

How do I solve a simultaneous trig problem?

To solve a simultaneous trig problem, you can use a variety of techniques such as substitution, elimination, or the addition/subtraction method. It is important to have a good understanding of trigonometric identities and equations to effectively solve these types of problems.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a simultaneous trig problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a simultaneous trig problem include forgetting to use the correct trigonometric ratio, not simplifying expressions properly, and making errors in calculations. It is also important to double-check your answers and verify that they satisfy all of the given equations.

Can I use a calculator to solve a simultaneous trig problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a simultaneous trig problem. However, it is important to use the correct mode and settings on your calculator to ensure accurate results. It is also recommended to show your work and not solely rely on the calculator's output.

What are some real-world applications of simultaneous trig problems?

Simultaneous trig problems have many real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and architecture. For example, they can be used to calculate the angles and distances between objects, determine the height of a building or the length of a bridge, and analyze the motion of objects in circular or periodic motion.