Help with a simple exercise in astrophysics.

In summary, the student is trying to solve an astrophysics problem but is having trouble. He is unsure of what equations to use and does not know what to do next.
Xalkias
<Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.>

So i began studying on my own for my astrophycis class that will start on 2 weeks and i have trouble solving an exercise. So the exercise goes as follows: given that mbol=-2.5log(∫fλdλ)+Cbol and mbol=-26.83 for sun. Show that Cbol=-18.99 . I'm stuck and i can't find any hint from the book that I am studying.
Please help. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
first of all, I think you should post your question as a homework problem here.
secondly, before we are allowed to help you, you should show some effort on your side, maybe an attempt to solve the problem, so we can see where exactly is the blocking point.
Which part is not clear to you? What equations related to the apparent magnitude are available to you?

I'm sorry I'm new to this forum.
Ok so In my mind I have to find f and then solve for C. So for the sun : ∫fdλ= L/4πd^2 (d=1AU) but then L is unknown so I can't calculate F. Temperature is not given so I can't use that either to calculate F. What should I do

Xalkias said:
I'm sorry I'm new to this forum.
Ok so I know for the sun : ∫fdλ= L/4πd^2 (d=1AU) but then L is unknown so I can't calculate F. Temperature is not given so I can't use that either to calculate F.

Great, you actually know the solution :) I think in many astrophysics problems like this one, you won't be given Solar luminosity or irradiance each time in the problem definition. I am pretty sure you can find at least one of these values in your book. Can you?

Ohh Yes there is a lists of all luminosities in the book but I thought they would mention if this lists was needed.
Thank you for your time.

Related to Help with a simple exercise in astrophysics.

1. What is the purpose of this exercise in astrophysics?

The purpose of this exercise is to provide a simple demonstration of key concepts in astrophysics, such as gravitational forces, celestial mechanics, and the properties of stars and galaxies.

2. How can this exercise be used to improve understanding of astrophysics?

This exercise allows individuals to apply theoretical concepts to real-world scenarios and gain a better understanding of how these concepts operate in the universe. It also encourages critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. Can this exercise be completed without prior knowledge of astrophysics?

Yes, this exercise is designed to be accessible to individuals with little or no prior knowledge of astrophysics. It provides clear instructions and explanations of key concepts to guide individuals through the exercise.

4. Are there any online resources or additional materials that can be used in conjunction with this exercise?

Yes, there are many online resources and textbooks available that provide additional information and examples related to the concepts covered in this exercise. These can be used to supplement and enhance understanding.

5. How can this exercise be adapted for different levels of understanding or age groups?

This exercise can be adapted by adjusting the level of complexity in the scenarios or by providing additional information and guidance for individuals with varying levels of understanding. It can also be adapted for different age groups by using relatable examples and adjusting the language and format of the instructions.