Help with a review question please Test tomorrow

In summary, the question is asking for the energy of the electron in the ground electronic state, E1 of a helium atom after a collision with a particle of kinetic energy 90.00 x 10^-12 erg. The collision causes the helium ion to emit light with a wavelength of 1214 angstroms when the electron drops to the quantum level n = 2. The formula for this problem is -E(emit)=E? - E2, and by using the formula -E photon = hc/λ, the energy of the electron can be found. The next step would be to determine the corresponding quantum level for this energy.
caharris10
Help with a review question please! Test tomorrow

Can you please help with this review question. My test is tomorrow and I am not sure how to do this.

Helium cation behaves like hydrogen atom. A particle with kinetic energy of 90.00 x 10^-12 erg collides with a gaseous helium cation in its ground state, quantum level n=1. After the collision, the kinetic energy of the particle is found to be 8.262 x 10^-12 erg. This event is followed by the Helium ion with the electron in quantum level n=? emitting light with a wavelength of 1214 angstroms when the electron drops to the quantum level n = 2. What is the energy of the electron in the ground electronic state, E1 of the helium atom?

Physics news on Phys.org

Where exactly are you stuck? Please show your work you've done so far and post any applicable formulas or equations related to the problem.

Well, here is where I am.

I know that

-E(emit)=E? - E2

-E photon = hc/λ

-E2 =( -21.79 x 10 ^-12) / 4

Does this mean that E(emit) is equal to hc/λ?

If so, then hc/λ = E? - ( -21.79 x 10 ^-12) / 4

I would then take this Energy found and find what quantum level corresponds to it.

If this is correct, what do I do next? And I might be wrong somewhere

Related to Help with a review question please Test tomorrow

1. What is a review question?

A review question is a question designed to test your understanding and knowledge of a particular topic. It may require you to recall information, make connections, or analyze and apply concepts.

2. Why is it important to review before a test?

Reviewing before a test allows you to refresh your memory and identify any areas where you may need to study more. It also helps to build confidence and reduce test anxiety.

3. How should I approach a review question?

When answering a review question, it is important to read it carefully and make sure you understand what is being asked. Use your notes, textbook, or other resources to help you answer the question and provide evidence to support your answer.

4. How can I prepare for a test when I have a lot of review questions to cover?

It can be overwhelming to have a lot of review questions to cover, but the key is to break them down into smaller, manageable chunks. Prioritize the areas that you need to review the most and create a study schedule to help you stay organized and on track.

5. What should I do if I don't know the answer to a review question?

If you encounter a review question that you don't know the answer to, don't panic. Take a deep breath and try to recall any relevant information or key terms. If you are still unsure, make an educated guess and move on to the next question. You can always come back to it later if you have time.